Stacy Nyikos's Reviews > The Writer's Guide to Crafting Stories for Children

The Writer's Guide to Crafting Stories for Children by Nancy Lamb

Lamb’s Writer’s Guide is a bare bones outline of the how-to’s of writing a children’s book. It is a resource I come back to when I want the basic essentials. When working on the critical essay on “First Sentences: A Story’s Booster Rockets”, I referred to Lamb for a foundational concept of what a first sentence, or, more broadly, the opening paragraphs, are supposed to do for a piece. There are a variety of approaches and tactics a writer can employ. Lamb narrows them down to six: 1) “give the reader a sense of what the book is about”; 2) “uncover a problem”; 3) “reveal character”; 4) “pose a question to the reader”; 5) “hint at the conflict to come”; 6) “anchor the story in time and place” (37-39). She suggests that a writer think of the opening to her story “as your booster rockets” (36). I would add that, if possible, the opening sentence should, in some way, sum up what the main problem of the story is about, or its main emotion. It must hook and pull the reader in, not letting go until the story reaches its end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Writer's Guide to Crafting Stories for Children.

Started Reading