Lance Greenfield's Reviews > Dark Fire

Dark Fire by C.J. Sansom

Feb 24, 2010

bookshelves: historical-fiction

Continual suspense

Matthew Shardlake has put the nerve-wracking episode of his investigations at Scarnsea Monastery behind him and is living the relatively quiet life of a London lawyer of the Tudor era. Suddenly, his peace is shattered. He is asked to defend a young lady who is accused of murdering her cousin, but refuses to speak to anyone, even Shardlake. A difficult task, and even more stressful because failing to plea when brought to court in those days resulted in a slow and agonising death by “pressing.”

Almost simultaneously, Shardlake is called to the chambers of Lord Cromwell, who commissions him to seek one of the earliest weapons of mass destruction, Greek fire. It is a very dangerous assignment, made even more so because it is so difficult to work out whom he can trust. Wisely, he decides to trust no-one.

There is suspense throughout this book, and more than a few close scrapes. I really enjoyed it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Fire.

February 24, 2010 – Shelved
March 1, 2010 – Started Reading
March 1, 2010 –
page 25
March 1, 2010 –
page 42
7.23% "It is encouraging to see that even best-selling authors and proof-readers are fallible. How about, "I gave him a glass of small beer."?!"
March 2, 2010 –
page 125
March 4, 2010 –
page 438
75.39% "I am the dumb one! "Small ale" cropped up again, and I looked it up. It is the old name for light or low (or non) alcohol beer. Silly me!"
March 4, 2010 – Finished Reading
March 5, 2010 –
page 500
86.06% "Review to follow"
March 5, 2010 –