Sue's Reviews > Noah's Compass

Noah's Compass by Anne Tyler

Feb 24, 2010

I really enjoyed this book. Anne Tyler does a great job with character development and the dialog in this book was phenomenal. I laughed at several spots and even shared some of the scenes with my family.

The story is about Liam, a 60 year old man, who has recently been 'down-sized' from his teaching position. His whole life has been kind of a mediocre life where his whole theory has been about not rocking the boat and just a kind of 'oh well' attitude.

The first night in his new apartment, he goes to bed and wakes up the next morning in the hospital with no idea how he got there. He becomes somewhat obsessed with regaining that part of his memory and along the way gains some more memories of his life (good and bad) and hopefully some insight.

I confess I was let down with the end of the novel. I was hoping for some kind of enlightment or at least change. But the very end seems just like the very beginning and he even says "it's almost like I never had a wound". It kind of left me with a 'what was the point' feeling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Noah's Compass.