Laura the Highland Hussy's Reviews > The Lost Duke of Wyndham

The Lost Duke of Wyndham by Julia Quinn

2043222

it was ok

This was a boring book. I read the second book in this series first and Mr. Cavendish, I Presume was much more interesting and enjoyable.

Here we have Grace, a companion to the dowager duchess, the poor 2 dukes' grandmother. Jack, a highwayman, holds up Grace and the dowagers coach, but the dowager recognizes Jack as being a Cavendish.She then kidnaps him and forces him to stay to prove that he is the actual duke, being that his late father was the elder brother to Thomas' father.

The only thing I didn't like about the second book was the ending. While Julia Quinn made her characters happy in the end, none of it seemed fitting to either of the men's personalities.

Thomas was raised to be the Duke of Wyndham. He did an excellent job, his people were happy and thriving. He is blind-sided with the news that he has a cousin who is actually duke.

Jack doesn't want to be duke. And yet it's being crammed down his throat. He falls for Grace, but she is now "beneath" him.

In the end, both "dukes" are supposedly happy, and yet, it doesn't seem to do these men justice.

I read a review that said these 2 books The Lost Duke of Wyndham and Mr. Cavendish, I Presume should have been one book. I agree. It would have saved the readers all of the annoying repetition and re-hashing and exact same conversations.
I thought this book merely "okay" while the second book I liked very much...all except the ending of course.

So I would just read the second book and be done with it. However, if you're a huge Julia Quinn fan and want to read both, read them in order, you'll like Jack better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Duke of Wyndham.

February 23, 2010 – Shelved
Started Reading
July 5, 2010 –
page 36
9.7% "alright I'm going to read it. I've read the second book Mr. Cavendish, I Presume, so I already know what'll happen. But we'll see how this one is"
July 5, 2010 –
page 36
9.7% "Poor Thomas! In his book he might be the hero, but he still loses his dukedom, and here I'm supposed to like Jack, the man who takes said dukedom"
July 5, 2010 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I went to a lot of trouble to find these 2 books and I haven't known anyone who liked them.

Laura the Highland Hussy You know what, I gave the second book (Mr Cavendish, I Presume) 4 stars...I absolutely LOVED the first few chapters...more so than most books.
They've been betrothed since Amelia was in the cradle, and he's been polite when he sees her, but nothing more. He says he'll finally marry her when she hits 21 (she's been 21 for a while now-lol) finally at a ball (this is where the beginning of the book starts), the duke walks in, politely says hello, and politely asks Amelia to dance. She tells him no. It's awesome!
My only complaint with the ending, is just that Thomas never knew anything but being a duke-and he's a very good duke. Jack comes along and turns out he's the duke. Well he doesn't want the dukedom at all. He even tries to lie and destroy the proof of his parents' marriage (thus proving him the legitimate duke) so he doesn't have to take the title. And yet, Thomas says "Oh no, it's him, please let him take my title, house and life. It's just fine" that was where I felt the storyline deviated from the 2 dukes' personalities. But the second book is by far the better of the 2.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thank you for the info. I have them, so I'll read them, but I won't go in with high expectations, I guess.

Laura the Highland Hussy maybe you'll like the first one better since Jack is the hero in that one. In the second he's just a rogue who takes the dukedom from thomas

Laura the Highland Hussy lmao!!!!
that's soo how I felt! How am I supposed to sympathize with him, when we love Thomas-hence the whole reading it in order...you read Jack first you get to know him better :)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish So, are you saying I should or should not read in order?

And did you hear, Sarah McCarty is starting a Highlander series for Harlequin!!!!! I think I have that right... the author of the Promises series. It's due out in something like March of 2011.

Laura the Highland Hussy Cool! that is exciting-I think you should read them in order since you'll be able to empathize with Jack. They're pretty quick, too so you won't feel like you wasted time on it. And it was good, just not great.