Felicia's Reviews > Midnight Riot

Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch

bookshelves: urban-paranormal

Well, I'm always looking for a great Urban fantasy book series, and this one is another one I'll be following with joy! Very much in the style of Harry Dresden, and my other fave, the Alex Verus series. This series is set in modern-day London, and features a black male lead character, who's a cop, and finds himself drafted into the magical investigation unit arm of the police. I love the sensibility of this book, it's incredibly dark at the same time, quippy! The worldbuilding is very interesting as well, and the characters are fun to follow. I will be reading more as soon as I can get my hands on it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight Riot.

April 15, 2014 – Started Reading
April 15, 2014 – Shelved
May 7, 2014 – Shelved as: urban-paranormal
May 7, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)

message 1: by Casey (new)

Casey Hampton What Urban Fantasy title would you recommend someone who can't seem to get into the genre but would like too?

Manorli Start with Ben Aaronovitch'S "Midnight Riot". It's easy starter urban fantasy. I love these books.

message 3: by Gregory (new)

Gregory Ward mercy thompson series, or the weather warden series, easy to read, rather addictive, so buy a few at a time or you will be running to the store daily

message 4: by Casey (new)

Casey Hampton Thanks, I might give that a try. I grew up farming in rural Oregon, and struggle with the urban scene.

message 5: by Gregory (new)

Gregory Ward only problem i have found, is i like reading series, not just stand alone books, and there are not as many series as i would like for urban fantasy/paranormal.

message 6: by Elena (new) - added it

Elena Casey, Mercy Thompson might be a good bet then! The series takes place in the Tri-Cities, greater Washington, and occasionally Montana, and it doesn't quite the same gritty urbanness as some UF does. It might be more accessible to someone who has trouble relating to the "urban" aspect of urban fantasy.

message 7: by Elena (new) - added it

Elena Gregory, whaaaaat? Most UF is series! Have you tried these?
Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series
Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series
Carrie Vaughn's Kitty Norville series
Devon Monk's Allie Beckstrom series
Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vampires series
Kalayna Price's Alex Craft series
Jacqueline Carey's Agent of Hel

message 8: by Gregory (new)

Gregory Ward yes on all but the kitty norville, alex craft and agent of hel, i loved the otherworld series, i cried when i finished lol, tho i personally didnt like the kate daniels series so i stopped after book 2, just didnt like her writing for some reason.

message 9: by Elena (new) - added it

Elena I stopped on Kate Daniels after three or so books too--she's a lot of people's favorite though, so I always like to mention her.

There's also Darynda Jones' Charley Davidson and Rob Thurman's Cal Leandros series.

...I may have a slight urban fantasy problem.

message 10: by Gregory (new)

Gregory Ward check my list i have one too, tho...its missing some books ive read lol i read the first cal leandros but the bookstore didnt have the rest of the series so i didnt go beyond that, and hadnt heard of the charley davidson one

message 11: by William (new)

William There's an indie book out that I think is pretty amazing. It's about a crackhead who sees and can communicate with the dead. It's called "Death ain't but a Word" by Zander Marks. I was impressed by the novel's insight, humor and plotting, as well as how well written it is for an indie. I recommend it wholeheartedly.

message 12: by Casey (new)

Casey Hampton Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll give this Urban thing another try.

jillz I love the Peter Grant books! You should also try out the Matthew Swift books by Kate Griffin. I like them even more than the Peter Grant ones!

message 14: by Frank (new)

Frank The new Bobby Dollar books from Tad Willams are Dresdenesque also.

message 15: by Shruti (new)

Shruti For Urban Fantasy novels, I really like Kim Harrison's Dead Witch Walking and all of those books.

Wielli If you like this, you will also enjoy Kate Griffin's Matthew Swift novels (A Madness of Angels starts the series). They are also set in London, and the city is even more of a character in the series. Absolutely fascinating, and incredibly well-written.

message 17: by Thom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thom After reading your review I went out and got the whole series. Very enjoyable.

MATTHEW AYEMOBA I don't know how to express this,but just the review really shows what the book is about. Well,I just want to say that loved the review and that you did a great job! I'll comment to you again because of your amazing review.

MATTHEW AYEMOBA I will consider you my number one author,Felicia. I recommend you the best author in the world,except Ron Roy and Barbara Park. But still, amazing job.

message 20: by Neal (new) - added it

Neal Crisp I'm reading this soley based on your recomendation

message 21: by Tavyn Fleming (new)

Tavyn Fleming Did you like Midnight Roit ?!

vonetta goodman Sounds interesting

message 23: by Cj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cj Glen Cook's "Old Tin Sorrows" especially hit the mark for me. Really any of the first half dozen of the Garrett P.I. novels are good urban/detective fantasy. With exception of the very first in the series, I thought it was lacking on many levels, but it's only needed for completionist-type readers.

I'd say Cook, in this series, is a less quirky Butcher.

message 24: by 12Nowlin (new)

12Nowlin i realy liked that book because eveyone needs a litte actions

kofi Opoku Nice

kofi Opoku Opoku rooks

Heather I love this series. Just finished Foxglove Summer and can't wait to get my hands on the new one!