Sarai's Reviews > The Harper's Quine

The Harper's Quine by Pat McIntosh

Feb 23, 2010

bookshelves: general-fiction, mystery, romance-historical, historical
Read in February, 2009

Gil Cunningham is a medieval Scottish man tasked with investigating the death of a harper's woman. Learned in law and intended for the church, he is reasonable and does not jump to conclusions. With help from a mason (who has a lively, lovely, single daughter), Gil solves the crime - and finds himself a bride.

This is the first in a series, the rest of which I have not yet read. I was interested to see if I could find something kind of similar to the Cadfael series, but I am not a fan of medieval mystery author Michael Jecks, whose writing style I just can't get into. Pat McIntosh's writing style is not precisely like Ellis Peters, who wrote the Cadfael series and has what I consider a more "dense" style (it takes a while to get into the flow of the prose, and I can't really call it light reading), but it was even and detailed enough for my tastes. Not as light of reading as Agatha Christie, but a nice medium between Peters and Christie. I would recommend it to anyone who likes medieval settings and mysteries but doesn't want to get bogged down in detail and historical accuracy (though I did learn that they used to pack sore teeth with pigeon dung - ugh!).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Harper's Quine.