Home Is Where the Wine Is Book Blog's Reviews > Love, in English

Love, in English by Karina Halle

Apr 15, 2014

bookshelves: favorites

See this and more reviews on my blog Home Is Where the Wine Is Book Blog>

*Sigh* I loved this story. So beautifully written. A story about the sacrifices people make for love. Reminds me of a quote I read once. “The heart wants what the heart wants”. I was spellbound from the very beginning. Loved the culture that Karina can capture and share with the readers.

Vera is a 23 year old out of control girl that is taking the summer to travel and see the world before she goes back to college where she is studying astrology. She has tattoos all over her, loves booze and sex. She ha”s a I-don’t-give-a-fuck attitude that I absolutely love. Her travels take her to spain where she is part of a program that teaches English to Spanish speaking people, and that is where she meets Mateo.

My Vera

My Mateo

Their chemistry was electric from the beginning. You heart really went out to them. Knowing he was married, Vera keeps her distance until the heart takes over and the two of them fall in love.

You can’t fall in love in a week,” I told her heatedly.
You can fall in love in a second,” she said with a snap of her fingers. “The heart has no regard for time:”.

Eventually they must part ways and return to their families and separate countries. It absolutely breaks her heart to leave him. You cry for her, it feels like you are right next to her feeling her pain. Then the unthinkable happens. Mateo leaves his wife and asks Vera to move to Madrid to be with him. She is torn between what her heart feels and what her mind is telling her is right.

He slowly turned around. “What is love? In English.”
I raised my brows. “Love, in Engloish, is love?”
“What is it in Spanish?”
I was so enthralled by his hypnotic eyes, I could barely remember. “Amore?”
He shook his head ever so slightly. “No, Love in Spanish is you.”

GOD I really loved this story. You go Karina! Again you wrote one hell of a story!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love, in English.

April 15, 2014 – Shelved