Kate Scott's Reviews > Angel Time

Feb 23, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: paranormal
Read from March 07 to 10, 2010

Set in two very different worlds and written with a fluency that testifies to long hours of research on the part of the author, Angel Time is certainly not your average supernatural novel. The characters are unique, the plot engaging, and the words spun together flawlessly and effortlessly in typical Anne Rice style. The story is chopped up in two places where inserted are the background stories of Toby's life and that of the 13th-century Jewish woman he is attempting to help. In most books I would object to such a fragmentation of the plot; in most books it would seem tedious to work through such long narratives, but not so in this book thanks to Rice's colorful writing.

I did not like the first half of this book as much as the second half, the first half detailing Toby's life before Malchiah's arrival. It was too dark, depressed, and morbid for my taste. I don't condemn the book for this, but simply didn't enjoy the first half as much on that account. The second half was much more interesting and engaging to me. Rice did a fine job of expressing the turmoil of the European Jews in the Middle Ages and weaved a believable tale around that critical setting. Perhaps my only moral complaint about this book was the fact that Toby uses deception to solve the problem he was sent to resolve and this method of resolution seemed to be endorsed by the angel Malchiah, and hence, heaven itself. This didn't sit quite right within the context of the story, which was Toby seeking redemption for the evil he had committed. Overall, a good book with some minor flaws.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angel Time.

12/13/2016 marked as: read