Cathy 's Reviews > Dark and Stormy Knights

Dark and Stormy Knights by P.N. Elrod

Overall, the best anthology I've read. I read every story except for one and enjoyed all to a greater or lesser degree. Kudos to Elrod for choosing authors who write short stories well (a tricky job) and good stories.

For those who are interested in more details:

I enjoyed the Ilona Andrews story very much. It was a prequel to their Kate Daniels series (the series is actually written by husband and wife team Gordon and Ilona). I finally know why Kate gets reduced rates from Saimon! I can't tell if non-series readers will enjoy it as much, but I suspect it will go over well. I also enjoyed the Slavic mythology; I always learn something with every Andrews story.

Jim Butcher's story was based on John Marcone and some of his associates, all supporting characters in his Dresden series. There was a lot of action. I enjoyed getting some interesting tidbits about Hendricks. I'm not sure if people who haven't read the series will appreciate the details, but the action should have universal appeal. Butcher is one of the best in the genre at writing short stories.

Shannon Butcher's story grabbed me right away and never let go. But the end didn't make sense. Can't say more without giving a spoiler.

Rachel Caine's story was good, an original take on the classic theme of the dragon slayer. I wish she wrote urban fantasy for adults, I didn't love the first 2 of her YA books and am not interested in the Weather Warden series. Should I be? I'm open to peer pressure.

Elrod's story was good. A bit melodramatic and with too much internalized ramblings, but great style. And the anthology strategy worked again; I didn't love Elrod's 1st Vampire Files book, but I liked the short story enough to reserve a book from another of her series to try.

If you like paranormal romance, D. Knight's seem good. The story was OK.

Pettersson's story was the only one I didn't finish. I just don't care for this series (Zodiac) at all.

I liked Lilith Saintcrow's story more than I expected to after abandoning The Demon's Librarian half-way through. I checked out some of her other books here, but the reviews aren't encouraging. Am I missing something great?

And finally, an OK story about Cormac, a supporting character in Carrie Vaughn's Kitty the werewolf series. I'm glad it was a werewolf story; it's strange how much I've disliked her non-Kitty books, they feel distanced and disjointed to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark and Stormy Knights.

February 22, 2010 – Shelved
August 22, 2010 – Started Reading
August 22, 2010 – Shelved as: anthology
August 22, 2010 –
page 2
0.56% "A Kate Daniels story, first up! I feel better now."
page 45
12.61% "I enjoyed the Ilona Andrews story very much. I finally know why Kate gets reduced rates from Saimon! Can't tell if non-series readers will enjoy it as much, but I suspect it will go over well. Also enjoyed the Slavic mythology; I always learn something with every Andrews story."
page 80
22.41% "A fun story by Jim Butcher about John Marcone and company. Lots of action. Some interesting tidbits about Hendricks. Again, not sure if people who haven't read the series will appreciate the details, but the action should have universal appeal."
page 119
33.33% "Shannon Butcher's story grabbed me right away and never let go. But the end didn't make sense."
page 155
43.42% "Rachel Caine's story was good, am original take on the old classic theme of the dragon slayer. I wish she wrote urban fantasy for adults, I didn't love the first 2 of her YA books and am not interested in the Weather Warden series. Should I be? I'm open to peer pressure."
August 24, 2010 –
page 166
46.5% "Anthology in action again: didn't love Elrod's 1st Vampire Files book, but I'm liking the short story (great '30s gumshoe style). So I reserved a book from another of her series to try."
August 24, 2010 –
page 203
56.86% "Elrod's story was good. A bit melodramatic and too much internalized ramblings, but great style."
page 244
68.35% "If you like paranormal romance, D. Knights seem good."
page 283
79.27% "Tried the Pettersson story but didn't finish. Just don't care for the her."
page 324
90.76% "I liked Lilith Saintcrow's story more than I expected to after abandoning The Demon's Librarian half-way through. Checked out some of her other books here, but the reviews aren't encouraging."
page 325
91.04% "Cormac! (Carrie Vaughn)"
page 357
100.0% "OK Cormac story by Carrie Vaughn. Glad it was a wwrewolf story; strange how much I've disliked her non-Kitty books."
August 25, 2010 – Shelved as: zz-challenge-bcc-fantasy-2010