Kristine Hall's Reviews > Prayers for the Stolen

Prayers for the Stolen by Jennifer Clement

Apr 13, 2014

bookshelves: adult, fiction

Read this straight through in a day - it's really novella-like so easy to do - but it wasn't just the brevity but the story that kept me reading. A week later, I am still thinking about it and troubled by the nastiness of drug cartels and human trafficking and the desperation of those who live with it as the norm.

Prayers For the Stolen is very different and definitely has me considering things I hadn't before. While reading, I had some disbelief, but I'm not sure it was valid because the terrain of the story is so unfamiliar to me. Who am I to think that the events of the story couldn't happen that way, that they are surely an exaggeration? I know I am naive to much of the ugly stuff in the world, and upon reflection, I think I feel better believing there's not a shred of truth to the story told by our main character, Ladydi. Deep down, though, I know this story is based on the vile truths of existence for many Mexican women.

Ladydi. . . I didn't have clear feelings for her: she's just there, narrating through her life. Is it her numbness that doesn't allow Ladydi's feelings to grab the readers? Or perhaps it's that she's resigned to how her life will likely go, and barely has aspirations to change what seems to be her destiny.

Other characters were more engaging -- certainly Ladydi's mother, her best friend, and even some characters who come into the story very late in the book had more depth and description. These were characters that a reader could picture, even embrace. These were characters who lived and breathed because of Clement's skillful, poetic writing. Oh, the writing! The strength of the book is not only in the story told but how beautifully it was written.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prayers for the Stolen.

April 13, 2014 – Started Reading
April 13, 2014 – Shelved
April 13, 2014 – Finished Reading
April 20, 2014 – Shelved as: adult
April 20, 2014 – Shelved as: fiction

message 1: by Douglas (new) - added it

Douglas Lazorick Sounds like an interesting one. Are you enjoying it?

Kristine Hall I'm finished. I read it straight through in a day - it's really novella like so easy to do. I am still thinking about it. It's very different and definitely has me considering things I hadn't before. I have some disbelief, but at the same time, I'm not sure it is valid because the terrain is so unfamiliar to me. It's kinda like, who am I to think that couldn't happen that way? I know I am naive to much of the ugly stuff in the world. . . I also don't have clear feelings for the main character. Some of the secondary ones, yes, but not her. She's just kinda there, narrating through life. I think I will give it 4 stars. . . or 3. or 5. No less than 3 for sure. heh heh. Guess I'm still brewing.

Kristine Hall And Doug, thank you for getting me started on my review!

message 4: by Douglas (new) - added it

Douglas Lazorick I'm doing some rereads, but I think I'll add this to my read soon list. Thanks Kris :)