Katy's Reviews > Messenger

Messenger by Scott Rhine

Apr 13, 2014

bookshelves: ebook, galley-for-review
Recommended to Katy by: Scott Rhine
Recommended for: YA fantasy, RP, sword & sorcery, Native American legends and lore

Book Info: Genre: Fantasy
Reading Level: Young Adult
Recommended for: Fans of character-driven YA fantasy, sword and sorcery, alternate worlds, role-playing games, Native American legends and lore
Trigger Warnings: fighting, bullying including attempted murder, violence, killing, murder

My Thoughts: This is book 1 in the Behind the Walls of Sleep series. While I normally edit for this author, I was unable to do so for this book due to my recent cancer diagnosis, so instead I am reading it for review.

This is not a book for someone who likes a lot of shoot'em up bang-bang action, as a great deal of the story revolves around Daniel learning who he is, both in the waking world and in Astra, and his abilities and talents begin to manifest in both areas. Overall this is quite different from most of Rhine's other works, but still a great story. If you like strongly character-driven coming-of-age YA fantasy, including elements of sword and sorcery, role-playing and even Native American lore and legends, then snatch up this new book. It actually just became available on Amazon today, 4/13/14.

Meanwhile, book 2, Shaman, should be out by summer, if not sooner. Watch for it.

Disclosure: I was given an early version of this book and asked for my opinion. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: When we close our eyes at night, we all see the same ancient place. Exploring Astra is like living a video game. Tomorrow, I’m going goblin-tipping with some of the other wizards. The first rule of being a dream wizard is “no photos.” You don’t want the bad guys finding you where you have no powers. The waking world sucks.

Since Mom went to prison, the Nevada foster system sent me to Minnesota to meet an Uncle Joe I never knew I had. Snow loses its charm after five days. Only music and the dreams make my life bearable.

The weird thing is that elements of the worlds are bleeding into each other. Someone is trying to kill me, and I’m not sure who: the criminal underworld, the elves, or the crazy wizard causing these freaky storms.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Messenger.

April 13, 2014 – Started Reading
April 13, 2014 – Shelved
April 13, 2014 – Shelved as: ebook
April 13, 2014 – Shelved as: galley-for-review
April 13, 2014 –
April 13, 2014 –
April 13, 2014 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Scott (last edited Apr 13, 2014 07:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott Rhine The first of a trilogy, fifteen-year-old Daniel Proud discovers things about himself and humanity in general as he explores the dream lands. I enjoyed when he finds out the yokai had been kicked out of their lands just like the American Indians. This spurs him to the best messenger and community member he can be. However, he still doesn't quite fit in and someone is trying to kill him. By the end, he finds his calling as a shaman (the title of book two).
Conceived in my sophomore year of high school, this is a story that stuck with me for over thirty years. I weave in elements of my own experience along with Sioux, Japanese, and Hebrew lore to show that when we close our eyes, we all see the same thing.

Katy Scott wrote: "The first of a trilogy, fifteen-year-old Daniel Proud discovers things about himself and humanity in general as he explores the dream lands. I enjoyed when he finds out the yokai had been kicked ou..."

Working with some very cool ideas here. I'm looking forward to Shaman.