Priyanka Menon's Reviews > Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come by Aarti V. Raman

Okay, first up, Krivi Karthik Iyer is no ordinary man. He is, as mentioned in the novel quite a few times, a mountain man. Tall, good-looking in a dark kind of way, and most importantly, he's a military man. Up goes the hot quotient!
And then you have Ziya Maarten. Not the quintessentially meek and docile girl-next-door. Ziya is a firebrand in her own way. Wonderfully smart, with a somewhat quick tongue, yet tender and loving and womanly underneath it all.
Put these two together, with the beautiful backdrops of Kashmir, London, and Tibet, along with a hardass terrorist who's time to get shot between the eyes is approaching - that's Aarti V Raman's "Kingdom Come".

An overnight read for me, it was a story that ended much too soon.
Sigh. Big, sad and weepy sigh.

Aarti not only gives you a story that is fresh, but she also makes you believe in a love that transcends beyond all else. Why can't a hard, straight-faced military man fall in love with a woman who could very well be the sister of the person he has been sent to take out?

And this is where Aarti proves to be a wonderful storyteller.
She makes you fall in love with Ziya from the moment she comes alive through the pages of Kingdom Come. So even if she is the sister of a notorious terrorist, your heart is constantly telling you that she cannot be anything like her sibling.
She also makes you fall in love with Krivi, albeit in a slightly different way. Starting with his name. I'm so fed up with Raj, Veer, Pratap and a whole horde of other typical names we have for our army heroes. Krivi (I still haven't googled what his name means) I like! Right from your first encounter with him, you know that this fellow is a real coconut - you know, hard from the outside and soft from the inside. Okay, that was a bad analogy. But I can't tell you how many times I have wished I could just enter the story through its pages (like Harry does with Tom Riddle's diary), station myself near an IED which is about to explode, and wait for Krivi Iyer to come and save me.

But where I would have actually liked to read a little more on how Ziya is (or not) related to the Woodpecker (and a certain other character I shouldn't really name), the breathtaking vistas and landscapes of Kashmir, Ladakh, and Tibet more than make up for my grouchiness.

Fast, edgy to the point of wanting to bite your fingernails, gripping, and tenderly romantic, Kingdom Come keeps you on tenterhooks till the very end. So much so that even when you read the words "THE END", your mind goes, "Wait, what? That can't be right. Aarti V Raman, I want more."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kingdom Come.

Finished Reading
April 13, 2014 – Shelved

Reet Singh wow! Deadly review!