Martine's Reviews > Firefly Lane

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah

Feb 22, 2010

Read from February 22 to 25, 2010

I saw this book at Borders last mth and thought it might be an interestig read, and as I had never read anything by Kristin Hannah I knew I was taking a chance. However, what I got out of this story of friendship spanning over 3 decades was more than I expected. It was interesting, beautiful and heart wrenching! Just a heads up to you who are interested: I cried off and on throughout the last 6 chapters- even woke up with a headache for my trouble!!

TullyandKate were examples of a generation that I was not too familiar with, and so it was fun to live the 70s and 80s vicariously thru them. Tully's pushiness and Kate's acceptance reflected many a friendship I have experienced and seen, but theirs was a true and lasting one.

Kate's relationship with her daughter even gave me pause, and I wondered would it be like that between me and my daughter- I already have a son who's 7 and my baby girl will be here soon:). I even started racking my brain for examples of brattiness between me and either my grandmother or my mother, to make sure I would not be reaping what I don't remember sewing, lol. Anyway, raising a girl appeared so hard, and Aunt Tully as the inexperienced godmother- who never had a relationship with her mom- kept undermining Kate's authority. It made me wonder how strict Tully's grandmother was...

Overall the story of their lives was interesting, but I kept waiting for Kate to do more. The other thing that didn't sit well for me was that there was no resolution of the backstory/problem with Tully's mom. I wanted to know why, just as badly as Tully did. But I would say that it has been one of the best books I've read in over a year. I would recommend to anyone looking for a book to sink into.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firefly Lane.

03/22/2016 marked as: read