Kathleen Kelly's Reviews > Venetia Kelly's Traveling Show

Venetia Kelly's Traveling Show by Frank Delaney

Feb 22, 2010

bookshelves: finished

Venetia Kelly's Traveling Show is a beautifully written story about Irish families living in a very turbulent time in Ireland's history.The narrator, Ben MacCarthy is telling the story of what happens when his father deserts the family to follow this "traveling show" and the beautiful Venetia and her mother Sarah, who are the main actors. As Ben tells his story he often digresses, but this is a trait of the storytellers of Ireland, to stray off topic. At first the authors style of writing was hard to master but after awhile I got so immersed in the story that the digressions did not matter. At times heartbreakingly sad and often humorous this is a wonderful story about the lives and loves of very real people.The narrator has a way of pulling you into the story and not letting go. Full of colorful characters, good and bad and even a ventriloquist dummy named Blarney. I loved it!!!

I received this "signed" copy from the author for my honest review. I was not compensated monetarily for my opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Venetia Kelly's Traveling Show.

February 22, 2010 – Started Reading