Randi Reisfeld's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

F 50x66
Feb 22, 2010

Recommended to Randi by: various reviews
Recommended for: Anyone, male or female looking for a well-written account of a very specific lifestyle

Touted as a "book club" book, I didn't want to get in to this; besides, I'd pretty much had my fill of books that take place in the pre-civil rights era south; I didn't think I could relate to any of the women in this book and therefore nearly didn't read it. That would have been a mistake, glad my curiousity won out. Stockett's characters are brilliantly and fully drawn, you'll feel like you could easily know, and feel for them--even the most flawed women are fully fleshed out, so you understand why they act as they do. I didn't "love" the gimmick: the main (white) protag is writing a book about the lives of "the help," -- not many steps up from slaves -- so you get their stories, and more important, their journeys. The romance is a bit too pat for me, too. But she's got the cadence of the speech patterns down, and the writing is beautiful. So yeah, it IS a "ladies book club book", but don't let that put you off it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.