Kristin's Reviews > Natural Causes

Natural Causes by Michael Palmer

Feb 21, 2010

liked it

Took me a while to get into this. I don't know if the thickness of the book played with my mind or what, but at one point over the weekend I questioned whether I should continue. Palmer's reputation as an author whose books I enjoy is what kept me motivated, and once I got in about 100 pages it was smooth sailing until the end.
I felt there could have been more character development in the book. So many people were introduced and given just enough suspicious traits to make the reader wonder if they were the 'bad guy' (or girl), but otherwise I kept forgetting who was who, and as the ending of the book unravelled, there were so many little details I missed that I had to keep thinking back and wondering how person 1 was connected to person 2, and then there are some connections that were never made earlier.
Plot was good, and for its time back in 1994, alternative medicine hadn't taken hold in mainstream culture so it fits the time. Even today, I suspect there are doctors who would be skeptical of alternative healing, so kudos to the author for putting 'successes' with alternative healing into the plot. Would like another book about Sarah, or any of Palmer's protagonists, but that's something I've gotten used to, forgetting one main character and the cast of supporters from one book when it comes time to read the next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Natural Causes.