Angela Oliver's Reviews > Fangirl

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

bookshelves: humour, new-adult, young-adult

I really enjoy this kind of book - it has characters I can relate to and situations I can identify with (even though they are now lost in my distant past). This book hooked me with its candid writing, appealing prose, witty dialogue and interludes to a fiction within a fiction.

Fanfiction has become a really big thing currently, and has had quite a bit of prevalence in the media - the taking of other people's characters and worlds and creating your own stories, and different directions, is a real art. Rowell explores this in her novel, where introvert Cath must cope with going to college, meeting boys, her manic father, a twin sister who is seeking distance and the responsiblities and so-forth of her future life.

I also loved the fact that Levi is not your typical sexy hunk - his personality was a true delight and I enjoyed the descriptions of his gangly nature, receeding hairline and the smile that lit up the room. I rather wish I could meet him.

I cannot help wishing, however, that the Simon Snow books really did exist and a part of me is highly tempted to write them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fangirl.

April 12, 2014 – Started Reading