Kristin's Reviews > The Great American Slow Cooker Book: 500 Easy Recipes for Every Day and Every Size Machine

The Great American Slow Cooker Book by Bruce Weinstein

Apr 11, 2014

bookshelves: foodie
Read in April, 2014

I am a HUGE slow cooker fan. I use my slow cookers/crockpots two-three times a week. I use them for breakfast, lunches, suppers, beans; I've made soups, stews, lasagna, roast pork/turkey/chicken, and oatmeal. The only thing I haven't done with my slow cooker is dye my own yarn, but apparently you can do that as well with a bit of koolaid.

But I digress, I first saw a recommendation for this cook book in the Minneapolis Star Tribune: Dinner in the Slow Cooker (Jan 15, 2014). It was accompanied by a couple of recipes that shouted "try me!". So I did. I liked both of them. So I bought the book.

What has really grabbed my fancy with this cook book is the layout. The authors give ingredient lists for 3 sizes of crock pots, NOT just one: 2-3 quart, 4-5 quart, and 6-8 quart size. Very handy for those of us with only one or two people in a household. I love the recommendations and tibits that accompany each recipe, perhaps a bit of background, how-to, or whatever. I really like the difficulty ratings: "not much", "a little", "moderate", "a lot" - which correlates to just how much chop and plop or hands on is expected of a person.

From what I've made so far (and it's been about 1 recipe a week), these are down to earth recipes that cover a wide variety of tastes and flavors. You can go simple with a Minestrone Soup, or get your fancy on with Braised Oxtails (which I haven't tried). And, as with a wide variety of tastes and flavors, there come a range of ingredients; some accessible to me, some not. Which is fine. There are so many recipes to choose from.

And even though I've been using a slow cooker for years, I've learned a thing or two, such as: some dishes aren't meant to be cooked all day - like most chicken dishes. Save those for the weekend. A great meal can be prepped mid afternoon and be ready by dinner time.

I will also admit that I tend to be a bit loosey-goosey with my recipes - they are guidelines, not absolutes - I will sub vegetables, spices, and meats without much thought. So far, not a problem with the recipes presented in this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great American Slow Cooker Book.

04/11/2014 marked as: read