Elizabeth's Reviews > Using Your Values to Raise Your Child to Be an Adult You Admire

Using Your Values to Raise Your Child to Be an Adult You Admire by Harriet Heath

Feb 21, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, family, favorite-nonfiction
Read from February 21 to 24, 2010

This book is exactly what the title says, a book on how to use your value to raise your child to be an adult you admire.

The book starts out with the standard lament at the loss of "family values". But the author quickly turns this around into helping families define what their values are since not all families are going to value the same things. She at no point tells you what your values should be. She gives the disclaimer that the examples are based on her family's values but the reader should feel free to choose differently.

She plunges in to different ways to determine what your values are and encourages the reader to pick 15-20 values. At first I thought this seemed like a lot. I went with the "picking from the list" method. My first pass resulted in a list of more than 75 values. I began culling down the list with my husband's help to my current list of 17.

She has chapters on taking into account temperament and learning styles. What to do with contradictory values and conflicting values between parents. And also some advice on dealing with teenagers who will be testing out your values.

In all I think this is an excellent book that encourages thinking about what you want for your family and helping you make that a reality.

I'm going to have to keep this book out a while because while I finished reading the text, I am still working on getting our family values defined.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Using Your Values to Raise Your Child to Be an Adult You Admire.