All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > My Soul to Save

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed-by-abigail
Read in April, 2010

Review courtesy of AllThingsUrbanFantasy.blogspot.com

I think its safe to reveal some of the details about Rachel Vincent’s Soul Screamer’s universe for this review, but if you haven’t read My Soul to Take yet, then beware of spoilers from this point on.

As she discovered in My Soul to Take, Kaylee Cavanaugh is a banshee or bean sidhe. A soul screamer straight out of Irish folklore. In MY SOUL TO SAVE, Kaylee has been reunited with her long absent father (also a bean sidhe) and is struggling to adapt to the sudden parental authority in her life and all that goes with it: curfews, family dinners, and most notably no more alone time with her smoking hot boyfriend Nash (yep, he’s a bean sidhe too).

We get a lot more information about the Soul Screamers universe in MY SOUL TO SAVE, including visiting the Netherworld, bargaining with soul stealing demons, fending off junkie gremlins, and dealing with all levels of Grim Reapers. Best of all, some of Tod’s history is revealed.

But overall, MY SOUL TO SAVE felt very superficial. The plot about Disney-esque pop princess Addy who sold her soul for fame and fortune fell completely flat for me. Rachel Vincent did her best to paint Addy as a pathetic character worthy of sympathy, but I didn’t feel it. And Tod’s feelings for her actually made me like him less. I’m still hoping he’ll make a play for Kaylee and give us an interesting love triangle for My Soul to Keep.

I still like this series as a whole. Kaylee and Nash are the real draw for me, and the reason I’ll be reading My Soul to Keep when is releases on June 1, 2010. But I’ll also be hoping for a more mature plotline too, not to mention likeable supporting characters.

Sexual Content: (YA titles receive a more thorough breakdown) References to sex, a scene of mild sensuality, kissing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Soul to Save.