Zakiya LadyWings's Reviews > Graceling

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Feb 20, 2010

bookshelves: 2010-books, adventure, fantasy, own, young-adult, atbynr, march-2010, absolute-favorites, ftlor, to-be-re-read, 2011-books, coming-of-age, july-2011, re-read, romance
Recommended to Zakiya by: People on Goodreads
Recommended for: Adventure/Fantasy/Romance Lovers

My all-time favorite book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graceling.

Quotes Zakiya Liked

Kristin Cashore
“What she really loved was to hang over the edge and watch the bow of the ship slice through the waves. She loved it especially when the waves were high and the ship rose and fell, or when it was snowing and the flakes stung her face.”

Kristin Cashore
“How absurd it was that in all seven kingdoms, the weakest and most vulnerable of people - girls, women - went unarmed and were taught nothing of fighting, while the strong were trained to the highest reaches of their skill.”

Kristin Cashore
“When a monster stopped behaving like a monster, did it stop being a monster? Did it become something else?”

Kristin Cashore
“Perhaps I can stay by the fire and mend your socks and scream if I hear any strange noises.”

“Lady Katsa, is it?"
"Yes, Lord Prince."
"I've heard you have one eye green as the Middluns grasses, and the other eye blue as the sky."
"Yes, Lord Prince."
"I've heard you can kill a man with the nail of your smallest finger."
She smiled. "Yes, Lord Prince."
"Does it make it easier?"
"I don't understand you."
"To have beautiful eyes. Does it lighten the burden of your Grace, to know you have beautiful eyes?”

Kristin Cashore
“They sat on the outcropping of stone and at bread and fruit. Kasta watched the long grass moving around them. The wind pushed it, attacked it, struck it in one place than another. It rose and fell again. It flowed, like water.
"Is this what the sea is like?" Kasta asked, and they both turned to her, surprised. "Does the sea move the way this grass moves?"
“It's like the sea,” she said.
Giddon’s eyes on her were incredulous.
“What? Is it such a strange thing to say?”
“It’s a strange thing for you to say.” He shook his head. He gathered their bread and fruit, then rose. “The Lienid fighter is filling your mind with romantic notions.”
tags: sea

Kristin Cashore
“I'm not going to wear a red dress," she said.
"It would look stunning, My Lady," she called.
She spoke to the bubbles gathered on the surface of the water. "If there's anyone I wish to stun at dinner, I'll hit him in the face.”

Kristin Cashore
“Something caught in her throat at this second thanks, when she'd threatened him so brutally. When you're a monster, she thought, you are thanked and praised for not behaving like a monster. She would like to restrain from cruelty and receive no admiration for it.”

Kristin Cashore
“He laughed. "I know you're teasing me. And you should know I'm not easily humiliated. You may hunt for my food, and pound me every time we fight, and protect me when we're attacked, if you like. I'll thank you for it.”
tags: katsa, po

Kristin Cashore
“She shivered as he left her to go to the fire, and find water and cloths. He leaned into the light, and brightness and shadows moved across his body. He was beautiful. She admired him, and he flashed a grin at her. Almost as beautiful as you are conceited, she thought at him, and he laughed out loud.”

Kristin Cashore
“It seems better to me for a child to have these skills and never use them, than not have them and one day need them," she said.”

Kristin Cashore
“What are you grinning at?" Katsa demanded for the third or fourth time. "Is the ceiling about to cave in on my head or something? You look like we're both on the verge of an enormous joke."
"Katsa, only you would consider the collapse of the ceiling a good joke.”

Kristin Cashore
“Sit, Your High Majestic Lord Princes," she said. She yanked a chair from the table and sat herself down.
"You're in fine temper," Raffin said.
"Your hair is blue," Katsa snapped back.”

February 20, 2010 – Shelved