Elizabeth's Reviews > Once a Dancer: An Autobiography

Once a Dancer by Allegra Kent

Jan 16, 2007

bookshelves: autobiographical, balletbooks, new-york

Another autobiography from a Balanchine dancer. Kent could have been a writer in another life. She's weird and fascinating. She seems to exist in sort of this half world between reality and total absurdity. She has strange observations about people and writes in weird metaphors. Her writing is intricate and extremely intimate. I kind of like her. As a dancer, I would describe her as "far out" in a totally 60s sense of the word. She's always pushing beyond her limits, every extension heads into outer space. Watch her in a video of Bugaku if you can. There is a dancer in NYCB right now that kind of reminds me of her. Blond creature--Janie something.

The one disturbing thing about Kent is that she goes from man to man expecting them to take care of her. She sees herself as sort of an exotic creature that men put on their mantelpiece.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once a Dancer.

Started Reading
January 1, 1993 – Finished Reading
January 16, 2007 – Shelved
January 16, 2007 – Shelved as: autobiographical
January 16, 2007 – Shelved as: balletbooks
December 28, 2009 – Shelved as: new-york

message 1: by Megan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Megan Bettis She actually does write now. Her articles appear frequently in Dance Magazine, etc.

message 2: by Elizabeth (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elizabeth Nice to hear that, I think she's a talented writer.