Ferdy's Reviews > The Forever Song

The Forever Song by Julie Kagawa

Spoilers

An unremarkable end to an unremarkable series.

-The Forever Song mostly consisted of Allison walking, snarling, feeling sorry for herself, baring her fangs, making cheesy promises of revenge, and inner monologuing… And the rest of the story was made up of generic fight scenes.

-I hated Allison's character, she was such a crappy heroine. It pissed me off how her whole world revolved around a guy. She lost all her morals and turned into a heartless cow all because she thought she lost her love interest, it was pathetic that her behaviour and ethics hinged on the fate of a boy.

-I got tired of Allison talking about her Hunger and the Monster inside of her, I think it was meant to make her seem badass and dangerous but it just came across as annoying and silly.

-Where were all the secondary female characters? There were none. Allison was always around guys (Jackal, Kanin, Zeke, Sarran) — she didn't have a SINGLE conversation with another female. Allison's vampire family was male, the soldiers were male, the doctors were male, the mayor was male — why couldn't one of them have been female?
In total, there was less than a page's worth of dialogue from other female characters that weren't Allison - I'm being generous calling them characters since they were pretty much non-characters.
She didn't have one strong female influence or relationship in her life. It seems like most YA authors have decided that the only story worth telling about a girl is one which revolves around boys. Ugh.

-Allison and Jackal's bickering got really boring after a while, it just went on and on. I think it was meant to be funny or something but it was irritating having to read them bitch at each other over and over again.

-Zeke was normal and sweet (if a bit boring) in the first two books, but he turned into the typical cold, emo, nobody-understands-me, I'm-so-tortured YA hero. It was nauseating.

All in all, I wasn't impressed. Allison was insufferable, Zeke was awful, the story was repetitive and dull, and worst of all there were no secondary female characters. I won't be reading any future Julie Kagawa books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forever Song.

Started Reading
April 8, 2014 – Shelved as: ugh
April 8, 2014 – Shelved as: teens-saving-the-world
April 8, 2014 – Shelved as: rubbish
April 8, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

message 1: by Maida (new)

Maida Wow, Ferdy. I can't believe that you persevered & read ALL 3 "unremarkable" novels!!! I could have never done it. I think that I've reached by 7-year quota for vampires... and it's a subject that I won't be revisiting for a very long time.... What are you planning on reading next? I hope that your next book turns out to be a better experience for you. :)

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura Maybe after this review, i should give this one a miss....

message 3: by Night (new)

Night Oh and here I was thinking that this book would be better than the previous two, thanx for the review. Now I know what I'm in for when I read it. Know any good ya vamp books?

Ferdy Night wrote: "Oh and here I was thinking that this book would be better than the previous two, thanx for the review. Now I know what I'm in for when I read it. Know any good ya vamp books?"

You still might like this one, it just wasn't for me.
I honestly can't think of any good YA vampire books, the only ones that I found entertaining were some of the Morganville Vampire books - but that's a 15 book series and a lot of them were rubbish too.

Laura wrote: "Maybe after this review, i should give this one a miss...."

If you really liked the first two books then you might like this one, I was never a fan of the first two books anyhow.

Maida wrote: "Wow, Ferdy. I can't believe that you persevered & read ALL 3 "unremarkable" novels!!! I could have never done it. I think that I've reached by 7-year quota for vampires... and it's a subject that I..."

Heh, you know me once I start a series I have to finish it even if it's rubbish.
I think I'm also done with vampires especially in YA books, they're always tend to be a let down.
I'm reading Dreams of Gods & Monsters next so that should be at least a decent read :)

message 5: by Pamela (new)

Pamela You're a better person than me. There's no way in hell I'm continuing with a series if the books start turning sour for me. There are better books out there to spend my time on.

Ferdy Pamela wrote: "You're a better person than me. There's no way in hell I'm continuing with a series if the books start turning sour for me. There are better books out there to spend my time on."

I need to stop finishing series I don't even like, there's only a few I've actually managed to give up on. I've stopped starting so many new series so hopefully that will help! :)

message 7: by Yeldah (new) - added it

Yeldah Yeah the first book was 'ok' but the 2nd wasn't much good and I don't think I'm going to read this one. I think I'm going to have to write my own book if these books don't get any better *sigh

Ferdy Senko wrote: "Yeah the first book was 'ok' but the 2nd wasn't much good and I don't think I'm going to read this one. I think I'm going to have to write my own book if these books don't get any better *sigh"

Heh, I think we can make much better stories daydreaming than all the rubbish YA of the past few years! :P

message 9: by mich (new) - added it

mich Omg Ferdy, I am so tempted to just read your review right now with all the spoilers, even though I haven't finished the book yet. I'm just plodding through it and not really enjoying it at all. (And I actually happened to really like the first 2 books!) This one has been really dull so far for me. And I'm not feeling Allison at all right now either :(

Ferdy mich wrote: "Omg Ferdy, I am so tempted to just read your review right now with all the spoilers, even though I haven't finished the book yet. I'm just plodding through it and not really enjoying it at all. (An..."

I wasn't a fan of the first two books either, but at least those were faster reads, this one was just dragged and dragged. I loathed Allison after finishing this, I can't believe I actually liked her early on in book 1.

message 11: by Mizuki (new)

Mizuki I got tired of Allison talking about her Hunger and the Monster inside of her,

Authors do this all the fucking time, but screw them, for most of the time those characters are whinnies instead of badass.

Ferdy Mizuki wrote: "for most of the time those characters are whinnies instead of badass."

It's the ones that strut around like their so badass, but are really just whiny babies that piss me off. Authors must think they're making their MC's layered and interesting, but it just achieves the opposite.

message 13: by Mizuki (new)

Mizuki Ferdy wrote: "Mizuki wrote: "for most of the time those characters are whinnies instead of badass."

Ferdy Mizuki wrote: "and many of those crappy YA authors are fully expecting to get a medal for writing their 'tough, brave female characters'. "

message 15: by Mizuki (new)

Mizuki Ferdy wrote: "LOL,you can tell the way some of them talk about their idiot MCs that they think they've written a really great heroine, they can't seem to comprehend that they've just written another boring heroine. It makes me think that they only ever read other YA books, because if they'd actually read outside the genre they'd actually see how flat and repetitive their characters are."

Amen to your every word! And a certain YA 'author' named Colleen Houck comes to my mind, because judging by her Goodreads' bookshelves, she is one of those 'authors' who reads only other YA books.

Ferdy Mizuki wrote: " And a certain YA 'author' named Colleen Houck comes to my mind, because judging by her Goodreads' bookshelves, she is one of those 'authors' who reads only other YA books. "

message 17: by Mizuki (new)

Mizuki Ferdy wrote: "LOL, I've read countless reviews of her books and they sound appalling in every possible way - I'd be surprised of she picked up anything other than YA. "

And Houck actually wrote a review for Dracula, and she wrote 'Dracula must be with his Mina' WTF? But it's exactly what she wrote about Dracula, I kid you not.

Ferdy Mizuki wrote: "And Houck actually wrote a review for Dracula, and she wrote 'Dracula must be with his Mina' WTF?"

Wow, that says it all. Will stay far, far away from her books.

message 19: by Mizuki (new)

Mizuki Ferdy wrote: "Mizuki wrote: "And Houck actually wrote a review for Dracula, and she wrote 'Dracula must be with his Mina' WTF?"

Wow, that says it all. Will stay far, far away from her books."

Yes, she deals with her novels as careful and thoughtful as she deals with Dracula. So, stay away.

PS: and her book review for Dracula can be found on GR.

Ferdy Mizuki wrote: " So, stay away."

Easily done :)