Leanne's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

liked it
bookshelves: average, fantasy, overhyped

After hearing so much about this book, I had high expectations. And the book wasn't bad, it just wasn't as good as I'd hoped. The first half was fast-paced and thrilling, but I didn't like the second half as much. It was confusing — there were many times when I had to refer back to the earlier parts of the book — and all-round less interesting than the first half.

I didn't quite understand most of the events in the second half of the book; it felt a bit muddled. But with that being said, I liked how the characters were well-developed — each was different from the other characters, and they had clear personality traits. I am a huge fan of high fantasy, so I loved the setting of the story.

Even so, I'm not sure I'll read the next book in the series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

April 8, 2014 – Started Reading
April 8, 2014 – Shelved
April 8, 2014 –
page 20
2.4% "Seriously, it's kind of hard to read because I keep getting interrupted by people going 'OH MY GOD, YOU'RE READING GAME OF THRONES.' But so far, I'm liking it."
April 12, 2014 –
page 110
13.17% "So confusing, but I want to keep reading."
April 13, 2014 –
page 170
20.36% "Getting really interesting."
April 15, 2014 –
page 270
April 15, 2014 –
page 270
32.34% "School holidays next week, so hopefully I'll be able to read more than 50 pages a day!"
April 17, 2014 –
page 350
41.92% "I LOVE the writing style, and the plot keeps getting better and better. :D"
April 19, 2014 –