Rebecca's Reviews > Cafe Europa: Life After Communism

Feb 19, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: 2010, historical, non-fiction, translated, travel
Read in February, 2010

I was dissapointed with this book, I'm not sure if it's becuase I had high expectations or because it just wasn't that good.

I was originally recommended this author before our trip last year to Eastern Europe and the Balkans. While I did like identifying the places mentioned by the author as place we have been, I didn't like the authors whining tone, or her "Western European" husband - I can understand why she might not have experienced some things, but he just seemed like a prat, try getting into Australia or NZ without a visa or having your bags xrayed, it's not only reserved for Eastern Europe or Eastern Europeans.

There were chapters I liked and got some interesting thought from, in particular Albania and the final chapter on Bosnian refugees in Western Europe, but there was just the whole section in the front 2/3 of the book that made me want to stop reading and give up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cafe Europa.

Quotes Rebecca Liked

Slavenka Drakulić
“Europe has another meaning for me. Every time I mention that word, I see the Bosnian family in front of me, living far away from whatever they call home and eating their own wonderful food because that's all that is left for them. The fact remains that after fifty years, it was possible to have another war in Europe; that it was possible to change borders; that genocide is still possible even today.”
Slavenka Drakulić, Cafe Europa: Life After Communism