Amber Williams's Reviews > Day of Honey: A Memoir of Food, Love, and War

Day of Honey by Annia Ciezadlo

liked it

I really went back and forth trying to decide whether or not I should give this book three of four stars. I decided three was probably the most honest answer.

I really enjoyed the book and I thoroughly loved aspects of the memoir. There are so many little quotables thrown throughout the memoir, though many of them are not so much Annia's words as they are words belonging to people she is quoting.

I think Annia bit off a bit more than this book could chew. It's one part foodie narrative, one part war narrative, and one part relationship narrative. Though I am sure all these aspects could be melded successfully, I am not fully convinced that Annia was able to do so. The first part of the memoir is heavily centered on food and relationship. She sets up an interesting thesis about food serving as memory and diplomat. But this thesis slowly loses its cohesiveness as the reader gets towards part two of the novel. Quickly, Annia starts to focus a lot more on war than she did in the early part of the novel. Food seems to take a back seat for the rest of the narrative.

And even with all of this, I think the most unfortunate thing about this book is how corny and cheesy it gets at points (pun intended). It reads like a Huffington Post fluff piece. Like, HuffPo thought this was too long for their website so they just published a book instead.

But I still enjoyed the book. There are just so many little moments that tug at my heart or make me laugh or smile. Even with all of its flaws, this is still a heartfelt book worth reading (which is why I was tempted to give it four stars instead of three).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Day of Honey.

Started Reading