Claire's Reviews > Icing on the Cake

Icing on the Cake by Karla Doyle

bookshelves: shit-hot-series

4 - "You're annoyingness is starting to outweigh your hotness." Stars!

It's LIVE -

US - http://www.amazon.com/Icing-Cake-Clos...

UK -http://www.amazon.co.uk/Icing-Cake-Cl...

We are first introduced to Sara Robinson in Cup of Sugar (book 1 of the Close to Home Series) as Nia’s sister you are given a little insight into who she is and what she is like, but no real depth to her full character, in-fact she’s pretty abhorrent on first introductions! I loved Nia and Conn in book 1, their romance although sweet and a little cute, was sexy hot and full of fun. Icing on the Cake, is Sara and Curtis’s story and is basically the total opposite, it’s a little dark and bold, and the romance and sexy-times are dirty and hard.

If women had balls, Sara’s would be so fucking big, she’d be walking bow legged.

Sara’s life has not been what you would call conventional, having lost both her parents at a young age to a horrific house fire; she is taken in by her best friend Nia’s parents and bought up as their own. Years later the horror and the sense of loss still remains, and although Sara keeps her vulnerabilities to herself, by causing trouble, and leaving a trail of destruction and mayhem behind her, Curtis see’s though her prickly, brash overly confident exterior to the real woman underneath.

”Go. Find someone else to use the rope on. I’m not interested in being tied down. By you or anybody.

Curtis Lawler doesn’t do commitment... After being asked by his brother Conn to make sure Sara stays on the straight and narrow during his wedding weekend, he makes sure that he is everywhere that she is, and that her mischief making is kept to a minimum.

Let them think the worst. They were going to anyway.

The verbal sparring between these two is priceless; Karla Doyle has such a way with terminology and phrasing between a man and a woman that you find yourself laughing along at some points and cringing at the bluntness in others. Both Curtis and Sara are not afraid to call a spade a spade, and I found their snarky sarcasm towards each other an absolute hoot.

Curtis – “Jealous that she beat you to walk down the aisle?”
Sara – “Hell no. I’d rather do the walk of shame.”
Curtis – “Sounds like the better walk to me. Maybe you want to take one tomorrow?”

Curtis Lawler is tattooed, toned and a little bit kinky. A cop, with a heart of gold, carrying a pretty sizeable weapon, which he definitely knows how to use!

”Babe, if and when I put the cuffs on you, you can count on my behavior being very, very bad.

The push and pull between this couple rolls throughout the book, just as Curtis thinks he is getting Sara to open up a little to him, she shuts him down. When a situation gets too uncomfortable or emotional investment threatens Sara’s first reaction is to back-off and turn tail, sex and fun is fine, relationships and commitment HELL NO . Add to the fact she is hiding some pretty sizeable secrets from Curtis and the rest of her family, and you have an epic showdown on the cards as the book progresses.

”Thanks for everything, Lawman. Saving my ass yesterday, fucking it last night, kicking it just now.”

I love this series, and this book is the perfect follow up to the sugary goodness of Cup of Sugar. Reading Icing on the Cake is akin to a strong black coffee, full of depth, flavor and leaves you with a pretty spectacular buzz when you have finished it.

”You promised me the shaft, so get over here and let me put a ring on it.”

Oh and I loved the 'Porkification' too!

ARC generously provided by the author, and it was my absolute pleasure to provide the above honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Icing on the Cake.

April 7, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
April 7, 2014 – Shelved
June 26, 2014 – Started Reading
June 26, 2014 –
June 27, 2014 –
June 29, 2014 – Shelved as: shit-hot-series
June 29, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

message 1: by Kara (new)

Kara I am intrigued.... good review babes.

Flavs is Mrs David Gandy♥~♥’ I love love your review Claire! Can't wait to read it!

Claire Awww thanks Kara, book one is a good one too :)

Claire Flavs, you will LOVE it :D

Claire Thanks Lisa xx

message 6: by Mo (new)

Mo Great review, love all the pics.

Claire Thanks Mo x :)

[~Ami~]♥Sexy Dexy♥ Great review Claire x

Claire Thanks Ami xx

message 10: by • Lisa • (new)

• Lisa • Love your review !!!!

Claire Lisa Jayne wrote: "Love your review !!!!"

Thanks LJ xx

message 12: by Ada (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ada Awesome review, Claire! Love the visuals. ;)

message 13: by Wendy'sThoughts (new)

Wendy'sThoughts this is the type of Claire review I adore... sign me up!

Claire Wendy'sThoughts wrote: "this is the type of Claire review I adore... sign me up!"

Thanks Wendy :D