Kevin's Reviews > Marx: A Very Short Introduction

Marx by Peter Singer

12053631

liked it

I don't know: I am sure I am unqualified to hold strong opinions about Marx.

Obviously it's true that capitalism does not necessarily result in an outcome that humanity would choose. We should definitely try to temper, or "civilize" the effects of the raw market. Maybe Marx was the first to publicize this idea? But -- communism, clearly no utopia emerged. So he seems 10% right, on the first bit. 90% wrong, on everything that follows.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marx.

Started Reading
April 7, 2014 – Shelved
April 7, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Irina (new)

Irina you didn't find the book enlightening, Kevin?

Kevin I was fairly underwhelmed -- considering all the trouble Marx caused. I love these "Very Short Introductions" and this one is fine, the ideas within are just not that mind-blowing.

I don't know: I am sure I am unqualified to hold strong opinions about Marx.

Obviously it's true that capitalism does not necessarily result in an outcome that humanity would necessarily choose. We should definitely try to temper, or "civilize" the effects of the raw market. Maybe Marx was the first to publicize this idea? But -- communism, clearly no utopia emerged. So he seems 10% right, on the first bit. 90% wrong, on everything that follows.