Josh's Reviews > The Devil in the Marshalsea

The Devil in the Marshalsea by Antonia Hodgson

bookshelves: own, historical_fiction, crime, read_2018

Set in a debtor's gaol in London 1727, The Devil in the Marshalsea provides for an insightful look at the harsh conditions the inhabitants had to ensure as a result of not being able to pay pitiful fines.

There's an island-like mentality to the Marshalsea, as the gaol grounds separates itself from the world around it; It comprises a unique small community complete with a barber, saloon, tea house and other traders. What's interesting is that some of the souls who inhabit the Marshalsea are there by choice, choosing to live among the disease, danger and squalor rather than try to return to the life that had prior to incarceration.

Meticulously researched with the characters based off real life people, this book does a great job at transporting the reader to a place most would struggle to comprehend as once being an actual place.

My rating: 5/5 stars; as informative a period piece as it is entertaining with interesting characters and a murder mystery which kept me guessing until the very end. I highly recommend readers giving this one a chance, one of the finds of my tbr pile.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil in the Marshalsea.

April 6, 2014 – Shelved
page 341
May 14, 2018 – Finished Reading
May 18, 2018 – Shelved as: crime
May 18, 2018 – Shelved as: read_2018

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Phrynne I liked that one too.

Josh Phrynne wrote: "I liked that one too."

wasn't expecting it to be so good but was pleasantly surprised.

message 3: by Icewineanne (new) - added it

Icewineanne Terrific review Josh. I’ve had this sitting on my shelf for awhile now, must slot it in for this summer 😊

Josh Icewineanne wrote: "Terrific review Josh. I’ve had this sitting on my shelf for awhile now, must slot it in for this summer 😊"

Thanks, it sat on my tbr shelf for too long - a very good read :-)