Heather's Reviews > The Thrill of It All

The Thrill of It All by Joseph O'Connor

This has been my on train reading this week, since I've spent a lot of time on trains (obviously). I kind of liked it, since it's like the autobiography you want to read from your favourite bands, but in this case it's fictional.

Instead of an awful band name, and awful made up band names of their era, this comes off completely legit. Patti Smith was the dream girl, name a band of each spoken of era and it's probably mentioned, more so it's relevant - it's not just a name drop, but there's always a comment or reference.

Plus, it deals with the history of a band (not even real!) with snippets of interviews, press cuttings from reviews, diary entries. It deals with the dark times and the graft to get somewhere - not just the soaring highs once the big time is hit.

It's the kind of book I kind of wish Morrissey had written. How nice to read about a court case both succinctly and without constant bitching.

This isn't without blame. It's at times a self-deprecating look at the character, and his highs and lows on the quest for rock 'n' roll and subsequent life away from it. They're not even real, but Trez is just this amazing character who you totally fall into.

I kind of wish The Ships were real, because this would had been a neat book. How nice to see a book both tackle the autobiography and the fake-band story - two book styles I often have issues with - and pulling it off.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thrill of It All.

April 6, 2014 – Started Reading