Kate Gould's Reviews > The Sleeping Father

The Sleeping Father by Matthew Sharpe

After accidentally combining antidepressants, Bernie Schwartz lapses into a coma, waking to discover he has severe brain damage and is no longer able to speak or think coherently. His son, Chris – alternately adoring and abusing his neurologist – devises a rehabilitative regime founded almost entirely on misinformation, while his daughter, Cathy, attempts to channel her newfound Catholic fervour into her father’s recovery.

The meat of Sharpe’s narrative isn’t exactly joyful, yet it is observed and delivered with a rare perfection and such impeccable comic timing that its vivacity somehow overcomes its sorrow. The certainty and unfaltering skill of his writing will make you trust him as he assures, even in the midst of tragedy, the world is a place of “angst, angst everywhere and nothing to be feared”.

This is the freshest and most touching book I’ve read in months, and though sometimes it made me cry, it’s still making me laugh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sleeping Father.

Finished Reading