Valerie's Reviews > The Silent Governess

The Silent Governess by Julie Klassen

Feb 17, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2010, for-book-reviews

The Silent Governess, by Julie Klassen was recently released. In the brief bio on the back cover, it says "Julie Klassen loves all things Jane - Jane Eyre and Jane Austen." She writes with a style similar to Jane Austen, less romantic though, which was a relief for me.

This was the first book I read following Jane Eyre. Yes, immediately after reading Jane Eyre, this is the book I started. The similarities between the two were somewhat tiring; a governess, a rich bachelor, a manor, a misunderstood woman who loves her charges with motherly devotion. Had I not just read Jane Eyre, I would have enjoyed it more.

Julie Klassen clearly knows nineteenth-century English culture and she brilliantly portrays it in this novel. A refreshing twist was a snippet from the era at the beginning of each chapter. It was a snapshot into the life of a governess, servant or lord. Reads one such snippet: "In your manner to your servants, be firm and kind, without being familiar. Never converse familiarly with them, unless on business or on some point connected with their improvement. ~ Samuel & Sarah Adams, The Complete Servant." I enjoyed this element of real history and literature.

The ending of the story was too perfect for my taste. It is truly a happily-ever-after ending which was beyond believable.

This was my first experience with Julie Klassen's writing. She is a good writer and I won't hesitate to read another of her novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silent Governess.

Started Reading