Michelle Athy's Reviews > Wide Sargasso Sea

Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys

it was ok
bookshelves: 2016-books

I read this, I finished it less than five mintues ago, and I don't know what I think about it. I'm not a Jane Eyre fangirl, but the idea of telling the story of the madwoman wife in the attic is an intriguing idea and taking the scant details that we know of her and fleshing it out into a prequel of sorts is interesting.

Except that I'm not sure that Wide Sargasso Sea was really fleshing out anything. Frankly, it's the kind of alternate narrative, post-modern, vaguely pretentious novel that literature professors would love. It's short, so I read it relatively quickly, but I'm so confused. On the one hand, Antoinette is, of course, descending into madness, but did I have to be high to get hooked into this narrative or something? No character really gets fleshed out or any introspection, the Caribbean setting was described evocatively (that's the one thing I liked about this book) and the post-Abolition time period was seriously historically interesting, but this didn't work for me at all. I had no idea what was going on half the time. A sentence wouldn't make sense, then the sentence following it made no sense either.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wide Sargasso Sea.

April 4, 2014 – Shelved