Patricia (theinfophile)'s Reviews > Go Ask Alice

Go Ask Alice by Beatrice Sparks

did not like it
bookshelves: youngadults, fiction

I was never forced to read this when I was younger, so I thought that I'd pick it up and read it now, for a laugh, being as there are days when there is just too much blood in my drug-stream.

7pm 12 Nov 2007

Well, I'm about 12 page into this book and I already hate Alice. Quite a lot, actually. I hope that as I read further, Alice's drug-induced diary entries mark an improvement upon her character.

1pm 16 Nov 2007

Finished the book 3 days ago, and just finally stopped laughing so that I can be able to write this review.
If this book was meant to make me want to do some drugs, then bully for Ms. Anonymous because it worked! I didn't do [extra] drugs, but it made me want to.

Some of my favourite excerpts:

"In San Francisco we won't know single soul that uses it and it will be easy to stay off."
Uh, yeah, because no one in SF does drugs, right?

"...I don't want to die. I'm afraid. Isn't that ghastly and ironic? I'm afraid to live and afraid to die, just like the old Negro spiritual. I wonder what their hang-up was?"
Yes, Ms. Anonymous, me too. I mean, what's with those Negroes anyway? Always singing mournful spirituals... It's like they've had a hard life or something, psh....

I'd like to say this book was horrible, but it did indeed make me laugh audibly quite a few times, so for that, it should be read (preferably while one is on some mind-altering substances).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Go Ask Alice.

Started Reading
November 1, 2007 – Finished Reading
November 12, 2007 – Shelved
November 16, 2007 – Shelved as: youngadults
November 16, 2007 – Shelved as: fiction

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

message 1: by Buck (new) - rated it 1 star

Buck Thank you so much for this review. I am literally sitting her laughing out loud reading it. I read this book when I was 13 and even then thought it was the dumbest thing ever put on paper. Your analysis is priceless! Well done!

Donell I definitely think whether or not someone thinks this book is "dumb", "stupid" or just flat out "laughable" has everything to do with their own life experiences. for some of us that have lived parts of this book (or seen loved ones/ friends) struggle with drug addiction, that is hardly the case. Yes, some of it is outdated (written in the 70's), but it still bridged the gap with me. I thought it was a very sad, yet interesting book and have trouble not feeling offended when someone writes that it is "hilarious crap". Open your mind; just because it wasnt your life (thankfully) doesnt mean that it didnt resonate ffor many of us!

message 3: by Patricia (last edited Jul 19, 2011 04:36PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Patricia (theinfophile) You don't know the first thing about my life, so I will thank you to keep your assumptions to yourself.

Donell wrote: "I definitely think whether or not someone thinks this book is "dumb", "stupid" or just flat out "laughable" has everything to do with their own life experiences. for some of us that have lived part..."

drowningmermaid This review is hilarious! And, yes, this comes from someone who has never done drugs, and who is solidly on the all-drugs-are-bad-even-marajuana camp. This book is completely laughable, didactic and obviously fake. I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.

Btiedy this review is bad i'm sorry but this book is filled with lots of personality and enhanced with reality i think maybe you just don tlike this type of genre realistic fiction. this book is truly amazing dont judge a book by the first twelve pages ha-ha you must read more it turns out spectacular.

drowningmermaid Btiedy wrote: "this review is bad i'm sorry but this book is filled with lots of personality and enhanced with reality i think maybe you just don tlike this type of genre realistic fiction. this book is truly ama..."

I think this book can fairly be hated because it tried to pass itself off as a "true story" which is an obvious lie. (You, also, noticed that it was fiction.) The only people I've known who really enjoy this are the "choir"-- the people who have never done drugs and don't really understand the appeal, and who want a good, self-righteous scare in this cautionary tale.

I say this even though I have never done drugs, don't really understand the appeal, and have seen more than one person wreck themselves with illegal substances. I read this hoping I'd be able to share it with some at-risk kids. Having read it, I wouldn't dare-- it's just too insulting to their intelligence, even their coke-addled intelligence.

This book is not realistic. This is a preachy, presumptuous attempt to voice the fears of "clean" people-- and it is written for "clean" little kids to keep them neat and squeaky. Like all things that tell people what they want to hear, it's popular, but trite.

Bridgette Thank you for writing this review, it's saved me the trouble of typing the exact same thing. So terribly phony. So unintentionally hilarious.

message 8: by Karenvalerieg (new)

Karenvalerieg I think it's funny how people find this phony. Whether this a fiction or non- fiction, these kinds of things do happen to people in real life. I have experience something really close like this with one of my family members. People like you are ignorant in thinking that these things to actually happen. Just because you have not experienced it does not mean is not true. So open your eyes and stop acting so immature because that is what it looks like. If this happened to you i don't think it would be so funny. Plus i think you so misread the whole point of the novel. It was trying to advice young teenager "NOT TO DO DRUGS" and you took it as it wanted to make people want to do drugs. That is how people know you are close minded. Nothing in this book will make someone do drugs. I love the fact that getting raped because of being high or ripping out your hair or scratching your self and running away is what inspires you to do drugs. This the most pathetic review i have read .

Bridgette Nice assumption Karen, but the truth is I do have that experience. I've had a handful of friends over the years in and out of rehab, in and out of the junkie life. I've gone to more funerals for overdoses then I'd like to admit. My best friend became a prostitute and homeless at one point of her downward spiral, and watching this happen to someone you love and not being able to help destroys you.

My issues with this book is that it's just not realistic. Not in the sense that these things couldn't happen- I know the horrible things that can happen when your lost in drugs. The way it's written and the phoniness of the story is what really annoys me. No one talks like that. No one acts like that. And no one whose lost in drugs leaves a goddamn diary around for someone to read. Drug addicts are way too paranoid and concerned about their high to do that.

Do you know what a Mary Sue is? Look it up. The main character is an unrealistic Mary Sue, and this book reeks of anti-drug propaganda written from people who know the horror stories but haven't actually lived them. Now THAT'S immature.

Patricia (theinfophile) 10 points to Karen for missing the entire point of the review and another 10 points for making assumptions about the author of the review and my life's experiences. I'm close-minded? Well you, darling, are a winner!

message 11: by Jade (new) - rated it 1 star

Jade This review had me rolling around with laughter, you really hit the nail on the head!

Elizabeth Okay, I read somewhere that this book wasn't actually a diary. A physiologist wrote it to show teens the dangers of falling into drugs and some of the consequences. I know you can't believe everything on the internet, so for all I know, that may not be true. But being a young adult myself, I thoroughly enjoyed this book/diary. It honestly kind of frightened me away from drugs. Maybe I'm being a naive teenager, but it really scared me out of doing drugs and other dangerous activities. Maybe as I grow up and if I reread it again, I could understand more about why this is a fake. But all my other friends my age who read this, agreed and said that this book affected them in one way or another. Is that not the purpose of a book? To affect a specific audience? Please, correct me if I'm wrong but was this book not written to teens to scare them from drugs and sex/prostitution? Oh it was, wasn't it? Hmmm wow. I know teens who were affected in sooo many ways so I think the purpose of this book was spot on. Sorry that maybe you were too old when you read it that it never affected you like it does teens. Here's a little website that kind of explains it as well, and links to other pages that may...umm...be of useful information ;) If I were you, I'd check out Paul F. Tompkins' thing. Maybe you should have viewed this like a teen would have. Just saying...

drowningmermaid Elizabeth wrote: "Okay, I read somewhere that this book wasn't actually a diary. A physiologist wrote it to show teens the dangers of falling into drugs and some of the consequences. I know you can't believe everyth..."

You know, I thought "Crank" by Ellen Hopkins did a LOT better job creating a Realistic, mostly-likable character who got involved with drugs in a much more plausible way. (Also, about how it completely ruined her life.) And, unlike this one, it actually IS based on true events. If you liked this one, you should really check that one out.

Elizabeth drowningmermaid wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Okay, I read somewhere that this book wasn't actually a diary. A physiologist wrote it to show teens the dangers of falling into drugs and some of the consequences. I know you can..."

That's another book that I most definitely want to read! I haven't gotten around to it but I want to read it.

drowningmermaid Elizabeth wrote: "drowningmermaid wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Okay, I read somewhere that this book wasn't actually a diary. A physiologist wrote it to show teens the dangers of falling into drugs and some of the cons..."

You should definitely read it. Ellen Hopkins wrote it after her daughter became addicted to meth. Meth, not pot, is one of those drugs that some people can try once and it's Game Over.

She writes from her daughter's perspective, and made a much more believable character than Alice. Also does some really clever things with the poetry. I thought the ending to Alice wasn't very realistic. Crank was more realistic. And scarier.

Elizabeth Yeah. The reviews sound interesting! I'll probably get that book soon and start. Haha thanks for that recommendation!

message 17: by Addison (new)

Addison Jackson Living your life using drugs as a way to escape life can be so dangerous. Sure, there are ways to be smart about it, but I think the appeal of drugs is to feel nothing. To not feel pain robs you of the ability to heal. I look back at all my greatest heartbreaks, and although they were hard, they made me who I am. I am so much happier now that I have learned to face what hurts me most. You have to feel the pain, but you do not have to fear it. Drugs may be fun, but they give you the unfair ability to escape what it is to live and feel fully.

message 18: by S. (new) - rated it 3 stars

S. Davis Since book recs are being tossed around in the comments, I'd like to add a book written by the mother of "nancy" from the "Sid and Nancy" tragedy (based upon your own opinion of what a tragedy is to you). Sid was her husband and was the lead singer of The Sex Pistols.
It's called "And That I Loved Her."
This was and is a very heartbreaking book from a mother's point of view, first of a special needs child (nancy) that grew to become reckless behavior including drug and sex abuse.

It's very interesting look into troubled kids that grow into criminal adults. And, it is, most definitely, a true story based on the mother's account.

message 19: by Jodie (new) - rated it 1 star

Jodie I agree. This book was the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.

message 20: by a. (new) - rated it 5 stars

a. I'm so glad I dont know you in real life. People who are so negative and pretentious are not people I want to be around. That said, you really missed the point of the book. But that's not surprising, there's too much blood in your drug stream.

Shelby Lamb mild-altering substances like some nice green herb :) LOL thats what helped me get through this piece of garbage.

Majenta One of my favorite lines was something about a lecture on statistics on young people going wrong, "and pregnancies are really growing." Well...yeah....