Melissa's Reviews > Martina the Beautiful Cockroach: A Cuban Folktale

Martina the Beautiful Cockroach by Carmen Agra Deedy

Feb 17, 2010

bookshelves: audio-version, award-winning, beginning-readers, fantasy, fiction, multicultural-literature, picture-books
Read from February 16 to 17, 2010

This book was given an award for it's audio version which is absolutely amazing! The story is read by the author herself and is funny and authentic. Martina Josephina Catalina Cucaracha, the main characters is looking for a husband and she has many to choose from due to her beauty! Her grandmother, Abuela tries to be matchmaker, but Martina is embarrassed by that.

Abuela decides to have a coffee test to find a husband for Martina. This part of the story reminded me of the Abuela and Abuelita Mexican coffee brand. It definitely added some humor to the already funny story for me. The three contestants: Don Gallo the cocky rooster, Don Cerdo the pig, and Don Lagarto the creepy lizard all fail her coffee test. Martina is upset about this, until she notices a mouse that takes her breath away - Perez. She likes him and doesn't want him to go through Abuela's coffee test; however, Abuela is insistent.

I would say that this book is a read aloud MUST! I read the book while listening to the audio version and it really came alive for me, as it would for our students. The illustrations are a must see as well - they are wonderful airbrush illustrations. The book is beautiful, authentic and available in Spanish!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Martina the Beautiful Cockroach.

L-Angelica Herrera-Vest I agree with you! This is a great read aloud book. It entertaining, children will love it. I love how they used words in Spanish throughout the story. It gave it "flavor". Martina The Beautiful Cockroach has become one of my favorites.