Bettie☯'s Reviews > All the President's Men

All the President's Men by Carl Bernstein

bookshelves: published-1974, re-visit-2017, spring-2017, paper-read, film-only, politics, north-americas, filthy-lucre, true-grime, a-questing-we-shall-go, betrayal, boo-scary, bullies, chase-me-chase-me, communication, conspiracy-theories-abound, corruption, cruelty-disguised-as-law, deadlines-whoosing-by, emperor-s-new-clothes, eye-scorcher, first-world-angst, foxtrotted-uniform, future-has-ancient-heart, games-people-play, gangsters, gruelling, gulp, highway-robbers, history, how-the-mighty-fall, journalism, look-behind-you, plate-of-worms, propaganda, psychology, rid-the-world-of-tyrants, skeletons-in-the-cupboard, spies, swamplandia, tricksy, twats-in-real-life, us-washington-dc, wrong-so-wrong, workplace, nonfiction
Read 2 times. Last read May 10, 1978 to May 10, 2017.

IMMENT

(Roubley dosh for a flag and a country?)

IMMENT

Mr Projectionist has the film reeled up, ready to go, for tonight's delectation. The political antics of the last year or so makes this a good time for a re-visit to the Saturday Night Massacre et al. Maybe there will be clues as to how this present scenario will work out.

IMMENT

The Rachel Maddow Show: 'The echo of Watergate is very strong here': Senator Whitehouse

Morning Joe: Echoes of Watergate in the Trump administration?

The Rebels are breaking through: congrats to Macron in France, and Moon in South Korea, hereforth known as Big Mac and Super Moon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the President's Men.

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)

Bettie☯ “Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.”

― Edmund Burke

message 3: by Bettielee (new)

Bettielee I freak out every time I see your name on my feed because we spell our first names the same, and you are posting what I'd post if I had read this book. Which I haven't .But I need to. :)

Bettie☯ @Bettielee - just sent a friendship thing through. We could take turns at playing good twin/bad twin - that should keep folks on their toes LOL

message 6: by Bettielee (new)

Bettielee Hahahaha! ;) I mean.... MWAH haha ha ha ha ha haaaaa! :)

Bettie☯ “James Comey better hope that there are no "tapes" of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press!” Trump tweeted.

message 13: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura I've requested this from the library - I'm hoping it informs and reassures vs scaring me half to death lol. Gotta feel like this is where we're headed. Looking forward to Comey's testimony on Thursday at 10am and director Rogers on Weds. Loved your review, Bettie!

Bettie☯ Laura wrote: "I've requested this from the library - I'm hoping it informs and reassures vs scaring me half to death lol. Gotta feel like this is where we're headed. Looking forward to Comey's testimony on Thurs..."

Thanks Laura. It was a shame that any of us felt we needed to re-engage with this brilliant piece of journalism; thought that level of corruption was a thing of the past. It is a gripping read, and Nixon sure did deserve to own the fruit, I have since read the second book which covers the trial, and was just as astounding.

Now, can you tell me where Rachel Maddow is - I worry about her, miss her show, see she is not scheduled to cover the Comey questioning even though she is one of the best investigative journalists operating today.

Bettie☯ NB: MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow says she will be returning to her show Tuesday night after being absent since May 25.

"I'll be back on the air tonight -- 9pm ET MSNBC. Huge heartfelt thanks to everyone who sent good wishes while I was out -- happy to be back!" wrote Maddow.

message 16: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Yeah I knew she was out sick but that was quite an illness! Glad to hear she is back. She really is the best, I agree. This situation is wearing people down though. Every time you don't think it can get any crazier, it does and it's very worrying.

I didn't even know there was a second book! Thanks for letting me know about that! I was b young when this happened, so I don't know much at all about it, but I'm sure I'll learn a lot.

Bettie☯ Laura wrote: "I just hope it calms me rather than creeping me out because I'm more anxious than I want to be already. "

I think you will be calmed - reading to get at the truth is empowering and makes one less inclined to knee-jerk at every little squeak.

message 18: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Bettie☯ wrote: "Laura wrote: "I just hope it calms me rather than creeping me out because I'm more anxious than I want to be already. "

Thanks, I was hoping for this exactly. Thank you.

message 20: by Bettie☯ (last edited Jan 06, 2018 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bettie☯ Martha Mitchell

Please take half an hour a week to listen to Slow Burn, A Watergate Podcast

message 21: by Bettie☯ (last edited Jan 06, 2018 11:55AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bettie☯

(wiki source) Wright Patman's eponymous committee played an important role in the early days of the Watergate scandal that eventually brought down President Richard Nixon.

The Patman Committee investigated the hundred dollar bills found on the Watergate "plumbers" upon their arrest, suspecting they could directly link them to CREEP, the president's re-election committee. The Patman Committee's 1972 investigation was stymied by pressure from the White House, in part aided by Congressman Gerald R. Ford. Despite these efforts to stop Patman, his investigative course ultimately proved to be Nixon's undoing in the sense that the money trail, as reported on in the Washington Post, helped lead to the establishment of the Ervin Senate Select Committee on Watergate in April 1973.

Bettie☯ Rachel Maddow
Schiff: House Intel GOP disgraced for Trump

Rep. Adam Schiff talks with Rachel Maddow about the unprecedented lengths to which House Intelligence Committee Republicans are going to undermine Robert Mueller's investigation of Donald Trump.

44 years ago today, Nixon, in his SOTU speech calls for a close to the end of the Watergate Investigation: "One year is enough"!

message 24: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura I heard that 45 is going to make the same statement in the SOTU tonight. Don't know if it was true, but a conservative media pundit made the statement on twitter.

Bettie☯ Laura wrote: "I heard that 45 is going to make the same statement in the SOTU tonight. Don't know if it was true, but a conservative media pundit made the statement on twitter."

Terrible times, and the knock-on effect will certainly affect other regions of the world if US is ineffective in harshly dealing with this in-depth corruption. No time for the 75% just to sit idly by to clutch pearls and tut.

message 26: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Amen, Bettie.

message 27: by Bettie☯ (last edited Jan 30, 2018 12:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bettie☯ Re SOTU

"If you cannot say what
you mean, Your Majesty...
you will never mean what you say
And a gentleman should
always mean what he says"

Mr Reginald Fleming Johnson, in Bertolucci's 'The Last Emperor'

Bettie☯ Trump toys with abuse of office in beef against Washington Post:

Rachel Maddow revisits the history of Richard Nixon trying to use the IRS to audit his personal political enemies and notes the parallels with Donald Trump's attempt to punish Amazon with higher postal rates because of his personal disdain for The Washington Post.

Bettie☯ Haldeman Diaries April 30th 1973

Trump sends signal with pardons, could face rude awakening.
Rachel Maddow shows how Richard Nixon's open talk of using his pardon power to excuse his staffers in Watergate ran afoul of legal understandings of limits on a pardon, limits Donald Trump is likely to discover himself if he does for Michael Cohen what he seems to be suggesting.

Bettie☯ Road map for Nixon impeachment published, could guide Mueller

Rachel Maddow reports on the publishing of legal documents from the Richard Nixon's Watergate scandal that outline the legal steps to Nixon's impeachment, the prospects of which drove him from office, and points out how they may serve as guidance for Robert Mueller.