James Morcan's Reviews > The Way of Wyrd

The Way of Wyrd by Brian Bates

This book changed my life...for the better...made me look at the world in an entirely different way.
I also liked how it is a novel based on or inspired by a true story.

The novel is set in 6th Century England when the pagans still controlled the land. It's based on a real manuscript found that was written by a monk from that era.

Basically, the plot is a young German monk arrives in England to attempt to convert the "heathens" to Christianity, but ends up being surprised by the sophistication of the old Pagan religion...And in the story the monk learns that these people believe in something called the Wyrd (a word that the 60s generation recaptured with the usage of "weird"). However, the original meaning of the word Wyrd meant something different...Vivid descriptions of some kind of invisible fabric or spiders web-like substance that connects everything and every being in the entire universe...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way of Wyrd.

Quotes James Liked

Brian Bates
“Thoughts are like raindrops,’ he persisted, introducing yet another of his interminable images. ‘They fall, make a splash and then dry up. But the world of wyrd is like the mighty oceans from which raindrops arise and to which they return in rivers and streams.”
Brian Bates, The Way of Wyrd

Finished Reading
April 3, 2014 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca Gransden Cheers for recommending James. I've not heard of this and it looks very interesting.

message 2: by Ila (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ila I'll check this out, from the preview it does look interesting. Thanks James.

message 3: by Nelva (last edited Dec 29, 2015 06:31PM) (new)

Nelva Sosa-Slagle Please explain how the book transformed your worldview. Thank you for the recommendation.

James Morcan Hi Nelva, I found the general concept of wyrd and the explanation of it in the book matches the latest discoveries in quantum physics...except it appears the Anglo-Saxon's knew about it centuries earlier...Some of these concepts from the ancients' perspective helped me approach life in a more unified fashion...

message 5: by Nelva (new)

Nelva Sosa-Slagle Philosophically, the concept of unification lends itself to quantum physics and psychology as well. Thank you for responding.

message 6: by Isa (new)

Isa great :) now I dont need to read the book, ahah just kidding

James Morcan Isa wrote: "great :) now I dont need to read the book, ahah just kidding"

message 8: by Milan (new) - added it

Milan Novakovic Looking forward to reading this book, thank you for the review

Paul Walker i was lucky enough to have Brian Bates as a prof when i was at uni

message 10: by Terese (new) - added it

Terese Covey Thank you for the recommendation, James.