Candace's Reviews > Mud Vein

Mud Vein by Tarryn Fisher

liked it
bookshelves: kidnapped, dark-themes

This book was beautifully written and I would definitely read more books by this author. Unfortunately, I didn't love this book like I was expecting to. I never really felt like I connected with Senna at all, maybe as a result of her being so emotionally detached for most of the book. Not having that attachment, I never did fall in love with the story. It was "ok" overall, even though the writing and complex plot twists were absolutely superb. I really think the only thing stopping me from loving this book was the fact that I didn't really like, or relate to Senna at all.

Aside from Senna, this book had everything that I love in a book. It was very well-written, with a lot of mystery and suspense. Isaac was a great character and I felt much more connected to him throughout the book. The ending and the revelation of the zookeeper's identity was totally unpredictable, which doesn't happen very often. I felt that the ending was fitting and seemed consistent with the glum mood of the book.

This is not your standard romance. If you are looking for a hot, passionate tale, this isn't it. It is emotionally and psychologically deep mystery/suspense with a background love story.

I would recommend giving this book a try, even though it wasn't one that I loved.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mud Vein.

Quotes Candace Liked

August 30, 2014 – Started Reading
August 31, 2014 – Finished Reading
December 13, 2014 – Shelved as: kidnapped
December 13, 2014 – Shelved as: dark-themes

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

Candace “Sometimes I hate him. When he does the dishes, he shakes off each one before setting it in the drying rack. Water flies everywhere. A couple of drops always hit me in the face. I have to leave the room to avoid smashing a plate against his head.” - I still have no idea of where this book is heading, but who can't relate to that sentiment? Love it!

message 2: by Elfina (new)

Elfina Renee Ahhhh sorry you weren't able to connect with Senna. Excellent review my friend, very truthful and straight forward. Can't wait for the next happy reading!

Candace Elfina wrote: "Ahhhh sorry you weren't able to connect with Senna. Excellent review my friend, very truthful and straight forward. Can't wait for the next happy reading!"

Thanks, Elfina! My current book is going much better. ;)

Andreita24 Candace I felt the same way as you, I think I connect more with Isaac

Candace Andreita24 wrote: "Candace I felt the same way as you, I think I connect more with Isaac"

Thanks, Andreita! This was one of those that all my friends loved and it just didn't do much for me. I'm glad I wasn't the only one. :) xoxo

message 6: by Elfina (new)

Elfina Renee Great honest review!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Candace Alexis ♡ wrote: "Fab honest review Candace, I completely agree! Everyone's been raving about this book so I had to check it out as well and it just wasn't my cup of tea."

Elfina wrote: "Great honest review!"

Thanks so much, ladies! :) xoxo

message 9: by Bibi (new) - rated it 1 star

Bibi Well said hon, fab review!

Candace Bibi wrote: "Well said hon, fab review!"

Thanks so much, Bibi! :) xoxo

(Sorry for the late reply. I just saw this comment.)