Melki's Reviews > Brutal Youth

Brutal Youth by Anthony Breznican

bookshelves: first-reads-giveaways, thriller, young-adult, academically-inclined

"...this whole system has only one rule: You can't hurt anyone who can hurt you back."

There's a bell tower vengeance scenario, a punctured cheek, severed digits, student/teacher hanky panky and a daring rescue...and that's just the prologue! BAM! Welcome to high school, kiddies!

St. Michael's offers a well-rounded program of reading, writing and hazing. It's a vicious circle of torment as seniors who were made miserable when they were freshmen unleash a world of suffering on the newcomers to their school. Oblivious parents and teachers, more concerned about keeping their jobs than the students' welfare, stand back and let it all happen. "There are worse things in life than a little teasing," says the principal.

Ah, tradition...

This was quite the page-turner in a what-fresh-hell-is-this kind of way. I can't remember the last time I read a 400+ page book in less than 36 hours. This one will get your dander up, and every jab made by the lowly underclassmen against their bullies will make you want to stand up and cheer.

"I'm not sure doing the right thing is the way to survive at this place."

Believe me...it's not.

There's nothing like winning a hardback first edition to put a smile on my face.
Thank you Goodreads and St. Martin's Press.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brutal Youth.

April 3, 2014 – Shelved