Anne's Reviews > Another Night, Another Day

Another Night, Another Day by Sarah Rayner

bookshelves: kindle

Another Night, Another Day - to be published by Picador in the UK on 17 July - is the third novel by Sarah Rayner featuring her Brighton-based characters. If you haven't read the other two, don't worry - these are companion novels rather than sequels, and some of the same characters feature in each. The first was One Moment, One Morning, the first time we meet Karen, Anna and Lou, whose lives were changed for ever by a dramatic incident on a train. The central themes of that book were death, grief, alcoholism and sexuality, but it's not mawkish, sentimental or difficult to read in any way. Really different and cleverly done, and with a satisfying ending - loved it. Next came The Two Week Wait, taking their lives in a totally different direction, dealing with the agony of women who want a family above all else.

And now we have Another Night, Another Day, which sees Karen moving to centre stage together with a number of other new key characters. This book is very realistic in its depiction of the way in which no-one is immune from the trials and tribulations of life and the effect they can have on mental health. After the initial scene-setting - a look at the stresses and strains affecting the main characters and watching their lives fall apart - much of the book is set inside a mental health facility. Now this might not sound like a barrel of laughs, but - as in her earlier books - the author has a really sure touch with a difficult subject, the lightness and humour always appropriately handled. The book as a whole balances the journeys to recovery of the main characters with a very realistic depiction of the handling of anxiety and depression in private and state care.

Although this is a work of fiction, I learned quite a lot about the realities of psychiatric care - where patients characterise themselves as mad, bad or sad - and I found the whole thing absolutely engrossing. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who'd like to find out more about the wider subject, but I'd also recommend it to anyone who enjoys strong character driven drama with characters drawn from real life, and with whom you develop very strong links and immense sympathy as the story progresses. It's very moving, sad and funny, and I'm really pleased to have had the opportunity to be an early reader.

My thanks to netgalley and publishers Pan Macmillan/Picador for my advance reading e-copy.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Another Night, Another Day.

April 3, 2014 – Shelved
April 3, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
April 3, 2014 – Shelved as: kindle
April 22, 2014 – Started Reading
April 27, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Kat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat Love your review. can't wait for this