Nicole's Reviews > What We Hide

What We Hide by Marthe Jocelyn

it was ok
bookshelves: historical-fiction, ya, lgbtq
Recommended for: those who don't mind superficial, unchanging characters

I wanted to like this book and while the potential was high, the reality fell flat.

Boarding school? Check.
Complicated friendships?
Haves vs Have Nots (townie vs private school style)? Check.
Interesting (ish) characters and multiple focalizers? Check and check.

So what went wrong???
It all felt superficial. Everyone had their personality and there was no real depth to anyone. The new girl who lies in an attempt to "reinvent" herself, the boy-slut who's actually still a virgin, the girl-slut with a sad home life, the shy boy who's secretly gay, the tough boy who's secretly gay, the artsy kid who...well, who is just artsy. From start to finish, those were the characters and nothing changed or evolved or wavered in the slightest.

Speaking of the finish, the book just...ended. The new girl confessed her reinvention lie in a totally impact-less non-event and then decided that maybe she'd come back for one more semester after all. End Scene. No resolution (or mention) of the townie girl trying to navigate a complicated dating life/trauma or the boys who were nearly beat up for being gay. No resolution for anyone except Jenny and her tied-in-a-bow ending took all of 3 sentences!

The most interesting (and again, underdeveloped) part of the book was the portrayal of male homosexuality.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What We Hide.

April 2, 2014 – Shelved