Alysa H.'s Reviews > Night Terrors

Night Terrors by Tim Waggoner

Apr 23, 14

bookshelves: netgalley
Read from April 21 to 23, 2014

This books has forever changed my image of "Insane Clowns" -- in a good way! I've seen it been called "Men In Black meets The Sandman", and I'd argue that there's a lot of Ralph Bakshi's Cool World in there, too. But regardless of all of these reference points, Waggoner has created an intense and unique Urban Fantasy world that I didn't want to leave. Though I'm not sure what that says about my psyche!

I would have liked to see slightly more philosophizing at times, but the book did subtly raise some social commentary in its own way. The writing was overall great; the characters, plotting, and pacing all great. I read this really fast, and actually forced myself to draw out the last few chapters so that the book would last longer.

It's a sorry state of affairs when male writers must get special shout-outs for writing awesome female protagonists, but since this is the state we all live in, Waggoner gets a ton of gold stars. Audra is indeed awesome, and written like a real person about whom her gender is merely one facet, and largely irrelevant. All of the characters, in fact, match that description -- the leads are multifaceted, and even some of the secondaries (when they're not terrifically horrifying)!

I loved this, and I look forward to more of the series. In the meantime, I will check out more of Waggoner's work.

I received an ARC of this book via NetGalley.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Terrors.

04/02/2014 marked as: to-read