C.G. Drews's Reviews > Wintergirls

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2015, young-adult, mental-illness

That was emotional and terrible and intense...and cold. It didn't help that I'm literally FREEZING right now (it's winter! I'm cold!) and this book was...it was like reading about a self-destructing snowflake. I always find it intense and confronting to read about eating disorders. I put off this book forever, but I really loved Laurie Halse Anderson's The Impossible Knife of Memory and I knew I needed to read more of her masterpieces. SO I WAS BRAVE. I READ THIS. It definitely affected me.

This book is dangerous and beautiful. It's written ridiculously well. Like, the writing lingers in that area between metaphor and reality. And the wording?! OMG HOW IS IT LEGAL TO WRITE THIS WELL.
We held hands when we walked down the gingerbread path into the forest, blood dripping from our fingers. We danced with witches and kissed monsters. We turned us into wintergirls, when she tried to leave, I pulled her back into the snow because I was afraid to be alone.

Is that not ridiculously beautiful?

The topic is tough, obviously, but the author handled it so so well. I was caught between fury and crying half the time. I do NOT think Lia's family supported her. I do NOT think they were helping her emotionally. They saw numbers on a scale, just like she did -- only she wanted them to go down, and they needed them to go up. Anorexia isn't just about food: it's emotional and mental, too. And I feel like Lia did not get the help there that she needed. She needed it from her family...and they let her down. So I found that very emotional to read, because Lia NEEDED someone to stand there telling her she was okay and she was loved. LEMME CRY UGLY UGLY TEARS.

Gosh. I really don't know how to review this book. It is like 98% an emotional journey, so the actual things-that-happened are very sparse. There was a lot of purple prose. I thought it was beautiful, but there were times when it felt like a filler. The book made me uncomfortable...but it's supposed to. It doesn't stick a bandaid on at the end, but at the same time, there is a whiff of hope.

So this book totally disturbed me and I'm just going to go burrow under my blankets and cry because this book is as beautiful as it is terrible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wintergirls.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Laurie Halse Anderson
“We are crayons and lunchboxes and swinging so high our sneakers punch holes in the clouds.”
Laurie Halse Anderson, Wintergirls

Laurie Halse Anderson
“You’re not dead, but you’re not alive, either. You’re a wintergirl, Lia-Lia, caught in between the worlds. You’re a ghost with a beating heart. Soon you’ll cross the border and be with me. I’m so stoked. I miss you wicked.”
Laurie Halse Anderson, Wintergirls

April 29, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
April 29, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
April 29, 2015 – Finished Reading
May 18, 2015 – Shelved as: mental-illness

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Shanti I loved this book. But that part where she wanted to weigh zero... was scary and also realistic. You should read Speak if you like the dark subject matter and writing, or Prom if you need something lighter :)

C.G. Drews I basically want to read ALL the Anderson books now. x)

Danni Mae Huh. I literally have this book sitting on my shelf and I wasn't even going to read it! What it wrong with me? D:

C.G. Drews FIX THIS, DANNI.

Danni Mae Cait Grace wrote: "FIX THIS, DANNI."

I'LL WORK ON IT

message 6: by Jessy (new) - added it

Jessy Jones Yes.

~Sophia~ I read this book on accident when I was in fourth grade, so I most definitely know the feeling. The self destructing snowflake comparison is so accurate!

Steph Matthews I love this book but beautiful and terrible, all at once, it most definitely is