Tina's Reviews > Vince's Life: The Wedding

Feb 15, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: filipino, 2010, romance
Read from February 15 to 16, 2010

I never really caught Vince's Life in Cosmo when it was first published there because I never read Cosmo. Or wait, was it Seventeen? I can't remember. But I do remember contemplating if I will get the first book of the series a few years back. Back then it was a curious thing for me to read a story with a guy narrator, when almost all the books I read have female narrators.

When a friend told me that the first book was good, I picked it up and read it and liked it. I liked it because Vince was such a character. I don't know if this is a true story, but I thought Vince was once of the most sensitive guys I've ever read about. A sequel came out and I read it immediately, too, and was satisfied with who Vince ended up with (even if I kind of wished otherwise).

I'm the type of person who reads through an entire series, so when a third book came out, I knew I had to read it. It was a quick read -- I was done in a couple of hours (and I read it at work, too). Did I squeal in delight in the ending? Did I feel tingles inside me as Vince pursued his girl -- again?

Sadly...no.

I don't really have any expectations for this book, except for a possible surprise in the end as was stated in the blurb. I guess I was hoping for some kind of a twist, something that would not necessarily make me feel excited, but be surprised at the end and say, "Okay, I didn't see that coming."

But I didn't. Don't get me wrong -- it's a good story, yes, but I felt like it was a typical story -- almost like I was reading a teleserye script. I don't really know what kind of twist I was looking for, but I didn't exactly jump for joy when I finished reading. Do you get what I mean?

Maybe I had too high expectations with the "ending he never expected". I still had to hand it to Vince -- he really is a sensitive guy. I mean, just read this part:

When it's right, love isn't difficult. It's the easiest thing in the world. All the differences and hardships don't matter, and there's only one answer to every question. (p 90-91)

Or how about:

But there was also something else, something so beautiful and so fragile that I almost didn't dare think about it. (p 129)

Yep, super sensitive guy right there. I think.

But you know what? High expectations aside, this book shows some kind of reality in live overall -- life isn't always exciting, and there aren't always unexpected endings. Most of the time, life can be boring, and things don't always happen the way we want them to. We can dream of surprises and twists and turns and stuff, but in the end, life will just give us what is best for us, and we wouldn't ask for any other ending other than what we have. :)

I guess this is the end of Vince's Life for us readers, unless a new book comes out with their kids? I don't know...but I don't think that would sell anymore. ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vince's Life.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kc (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kc Matias hi! i'm Kathleen Matias. would you mind if i borrow or buy your book vince's life 1? i really need it for my thesis and summit says they don't have a copy of this book anymore. please contact me, thank you! :) -katcmatias591@yahoo.com