Chachic's Reviews > At First Sight

At First Sight by Elizabeth Chandler

Feb 15, 2010

bookshelves: favorites, physical-owned-copies, gobbled-them-up, out-of-print
Read from December 25 to 26, 2014

December 2014: I really enjoy rereading this during Christmastime.
_____________________

Originally posted here.

I love rereading this book during the holidays because it's a fun read and it's set at Christmastime. Allie has spent most of her school years at Fields School, a boarding school exclusively for girls in Maryland. Her parents travel all over the world for her dad's job so the kids were sent to boarding school for some stability. Once Allie's parents decided to settle in one place for good, her twin sisters, blond and beautiful Sandra and Julia opt to leave Fields to study at a regular high school. Allie isn't looking forward to going to their new home for Christmas. All her friends are in Fields and she always feels self-conscious around her sisters. She knows she looks nothing like them, she's not popular and she doesn't spend hours fixing her hair or choosing her outfits.

At 208 pages, this book is a lightweight but I really like how well-developed Allie and Ben were as characters. As Allie learns more about Ben, she realizes that he isn't like the rest of the popular crowd, he's not superficial and is actually very sweet, especially when it comes to his younger brother, Tim. I loved all of their scenes together because you can really feel the tension between them. All throughout the holiday break, they keep dancing around each other, unsure of the other's feelings and not willing to risk their new-found friendship. And it all leads to a satisfying New Year's Eve conclusion. The entire Love Stories series is already out of print. Most of my copies have already been passed on to a younger cousin (and I hope she enjoyed reading them as much as I did) but I kept a couple because I just couldn't let go of them. At First Sight made an impression when I was young so it will always have a special place in my heart. If you get a chance to read this, I'd love to know what you think.

That's it for today, I hope you're all enjoying the holidays. :) Merry Christmas, everyone!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At First Sight.

12/25/2014 marked as: currently-reading