Brooke Johnson's Reviews > Inquisitor

Inquisitor by R.J. Blain

When I first heard of R. J. working on a new fantasy novel—one with a werewolf main character—I was skeptical. First, I’m not much of a fan of werewolves, and second, I tend to shy away from anything that hints at urban fantasy. I’m a sword and sorcery fan, and this was obviously not going to be that. But, as I was hired as a proofreader for the novel, I was going to read it regardless. Not being my chosen subgenre, I didn’t expect to care much for the story.

I definitely didn’t expect to love it to pieces.

I. Loved. This. Book.

The opening of the book—murder at a Halloween party—was interesting and mysterious enough to keep me reading, and as the other fantasy elements of the story started coming into play—witches, weather magic, shamans, and the enigmatic Inquisitors—I didn’t want to stop reading. I was drawn into this world that Blain so skillfully builds within our own, and the fast pace and increasing body count kept me on my toes until the very end. I very nearly had a panic attack for the main character at one point, and any book that makes me actually feel something while I’m reading—and this book put me through one hell of an emotional rollercoaster—is one I’m not going to quickly forget.

I would recommend this book to any fan of urban fantasy, for something a little different than the norm, and to fantasy readers who are skeptical of the genre, especially of werewolves. Blain doesn’t romanticize werewolves (a la certain teen paranormal novels); they’re badass and worthy of respect.

All in all, I look forward to future novels from Blain set in this universe. Inquisitor was well worth the read, and I’m glad I had the opportunity to work on it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inquisitor.

April 1, 2014 – Shelved