Fangirl Musings's Reviews > Secret Desires of a Gentleman

Secret Desires of a Gentleman by Laura Lee Guhrke

AMAZING! STUPENDOUS! AWESOME!

Truly, if I could rank this book at a higher star rating, I would do so in a heartbeat! I absolutely fell in love with Phillip and Maria. They are very enthralling characters, both with strong personalities that are rich and entertaining. Phillip is very much the epitome of the English Gentleman, while Maria embodies everything that Phillip shouldn't want. Maria is outspoken, headstrong, independent, and a commoner while Phillip is the standard of social perfection. In all truth, this novel was made all the better, in my opinion, because Guhrke formed Phillip's character in such a way that he embodied the character Mr. Darcy to perfection!

The love story between these two people was so much fun to read. The chemistry between the hero and heroine of this book had me laughing and smiling throughout.

Another wonderful aspect about this book that I loved was the passion between Phillip and Maria. I once read there was a fine line between love and hate, and the arguments and heated exchanged between these two individuals was amazingly comical and just plain entertaining!

The plot of Secret Desires of a Gentleman was very dynamic, as well. Essentially built upon a foundation that was structured in Phillip, his brother Lawrence, and Maria's past. Having been childhood counterparts, the three characters interactions and past goes to building the plot of this novel, one that is entertaining, fun, comical, and passionate like very few story-lines I have ever read.

Without giving away too many spoilers, I must say another aspect that I loved about this novel was the fact that its story truly paralleled that of the movie Sabrina. This movie just so happens to be one of my favorites, both the original and remake. As such, Guhrke truly blew me away with this book and has, for the second time, truly impressed me with her character building and writing style!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secret Desires of a Gentleman.

05/20/2010 page 0
0.0% "Am about to start the book, and MAN I can't wait! I've really enjoyed Guhrke as an author before, so I have high hopes for this book! The plot sounds very interesting, as do the characters! *Fingers crossed*"
05/21/2010 page 266
69.27% "Read 266 pages in one night- thus am L-O-V-I-N-G this book. Phillip very much reminds me of Mr. Darcy, and Maria is such a strong heroine!"