Tina's Reviews > Us Three

Us Three by Mia Kerick

bookshelves: menage, romance, young-adult, just-awesome, hurt-comfort, heartbreaking, blog-reviews

Mia Kerick isn’t a new author to me, I’ve read her novel Out of Hiding not too long ago but after reading the premise of Us Three I had my doubts. A Young Adult ménage? How would that work? Frankly I wasn’t too keen on starting this one but my curiosity finally got the better of me and after reading only a few pages I couldn’t put it down!

I totally lost myself in this book, it’s a sad tale, especially as one of the sweetest characters ever, is the target of the most vicious bullying I’ve experienced in the pages of a book, but I liked how Mia showed us Casey’s struggles with his emotions, and how he grows as a character, opening up to the friendship and love of both Nate and Zander, who despite having personal issues of their own, they are there for Casey. These boys are incredibly endearing and I just loved them so much.
“Us three. Most people’d say that just the idea of it was fucked-up. And I’m not talking ’bout the gay part. Folks’d say that love was meant for two. That huggin’ and kissin’ and holdin’ each other and shit was meant for two, not for three.”

Casey is such an adorable boy and he has so much to endure. His high school time seems to be a complete nightmare. Those Queen Bees are just evil, spiteful bitches, bullies at their worst. I never realised that it’s not always the guys that are the bullies, girls are even worse. *shudders*.

Mia Kerick describes the relationship development between Casey, Zander and Nate beautifully. All three of them are so cute… and the way they come together and figure themselves out is wonderfully written. Their journey through hell together is a real tearjerker, so brace yourself for a bumpy ride to high school hell and back. No graphic sex btw… but lots of touching and intimacy, Mia’s writing of this is excellent.

The story is told in a very original way, we get the thoughts of Casey, Zander and Nate from three different and very unique points of views. Each boy shared with us what was in their hearts and what they were going through, and that worked just perfectly for me. By the end, my heart was filled with hope for Casey, Nate and Zander’s future, trusting all would be alright in their world.
“It’s us three now. We’ll figure it out.”

Overall, Us Three is powerful, moving, thought provoking and flawlessly told story, and these boys will now and for always have a special place in my heart. If you're looking for a book about finding true love in the oddest of places and about standing up for yourself and what is right for the the people you love, this truly is a must read. Parents, love your children, cherish them, listen to them. Teachers, schoolmates, give bullying no chance… and add this book to your reading list! Highly recommended!

Edit: Mia is currently working on the 2nd book 'One Voice'. It's Nate's story. OMG... I can't wait to get it into my hands! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Us Three.

March 30, 2014 – Shelved
March 30, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
March 30, 2014 – Shelved as: to-be-read-urgently
March 31, 2014 – Started Reading
April 1, 2014 –
April 1, 2014 –
40.0% "Love those guys... :)"
April 2, 2014 –
April 2, 2014 – Shelved as: hurt-comfort
April 2, 2014 – Shelved as: heartbreaking
April 2, 2014 – Finished Reading
May 27, 2014 – Shelved as: blog-reviews

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)

message 1: by Ana_P (new) - added it

Ana_P I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Tina! I am definitely looking forward to starting this one!

Tina It's a wonderful book. Read it soon. :)

message 3: by Simon (new) - added it

Simon Thanks for the recommendation lovie. I've added it to my very long list.

message 4: by Ingie (new)

Ingie Thanks for the rec, Tina! I'll read more about it. :)

Pjm12 I habe pre ordered. squee

Tina Simon wrote: "Thanks for the recommendation lovie. I've added it to my very long list."

Push it to the top, Simon! I'm still in a daze...

Tina Ingela wrote: "Thanks for the rec, Tina! I'll read more about it. :)"

You're welcome. Do that, Ingela. ;)

Tina Pjm12 wrote: "I habe pre ordered. squee"

Aww... *squeeee*

Indra Vaughn Thank you for the rec, Tina! Will definitely check it out :)

message 10: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Indra wrote: "Thank you for the rec, Tina! Will definitely check it out :)"

Usually YA isn't my genre but this one just blew me away. Briliant written book! :)

Ije the Devourer of Books Lovely review. Thank you

message 12: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Great review Tina. I had it as a maybe on my TBR but I will definitely check it out now.

message 13: by Ana_P (new) - added it

Ana_P Wonderful review, Tina!

message 14: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Thank you, guys. :)

message 15: by Gina (new) - added it

Gina Awesome review Tina girl! Sounds like something I should check out. :D

message 16: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Gina wrote: "Awesome review Tina girl! Sounds like something I should check out. :D"

message 17: by Gina (new) - added it

Gina Tina wrote: "Gina wrote: "Awesome review Tina girl! Sounds like something I should check out. :D"

Thanks sweetie. :) The YA thing first scared me away... but it's wonderful written."

yea, I don't go for YA as a rule either....but this sounds like a great story.

message 18: by Macky (new)

Macky Great review hun. Love the sound of this, looks like a real winner! :)

message 19: by Macky (new)

Macky Great review hun. Sounds amazing and looks like a real winner. :)

message 20: by Ingie (new)

Ingie Wonderful review, Tina! You tempted me even more now. :)

message 21: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Ingela wrote: "Wonderful review, Tina! You tempted me even more now. :)"

message 22: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Macky wrote: "Great review hun. Sounds amazing and looks like a real winner. :)"

Thx Macky dear. It is... :)

message 23: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Thank you, Vilda. It's a great book, enjoy. :)

Sandra Great review!! All of this!!

message 25: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina Sandra wrote: "Great review!! All of this!!"

Thank you, Sandra. :)

Claudia Thank you for this review, Tina!