Kat Kennedy's Reviews > Starship Troopers

Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein

Feb 14, 2010

bookshelves: sci-fi-alicious, kat-s-book-reviews

I watched Starship Troopers first. I found it amusing, gory, action based and fluffy. When I read the book I wondered if the directer/script writer had read the same one I had. Turns out that he never finished this book and made the story up as he saw fit. Suddenly everything made sense to me.

As far as pacing and plot go, you won't find any of that here. There isn't much of a plot to this book and the story arc, so to speak, is more like a low lying limbo poll. Straight and short.

What I absolutely loved about this book, though, is the characters and message to this book. Of course, Heinlein's theories about citizenship and government are seriously flawed. But they're fascinating (if you like that sort of thing) and the description of military life is both rich and well depicted. Of course, you have to have a passion for both the military AND theory of government to enjoy this book.

If not, put it down and go read Twilight.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starship Troopers.

03/02/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Ia (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ia Objection! Putting down this book to read Twilight is like trading an okay meal for eating dirt. No one has any time for that.

Machiavelli The director of the movie "Starship Troopers" stated that he never finished reading the book.....so I guess you're partially right.

message 3: by Ani (new) - rated it 1 star

Ani Well, I put this book down so I could go read something that doesn't proselytize and shit on women. So Twilight's out too.

Susan I would say put this one down and go read "The Forever War". Haven't read Twilight, nor do I intend to.