Tanish Jena's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

bookshelves: adult, fantasy, favorites

I'm so gripped by this book right now, I CAN'T EVEN!
I think it's so gloomy, so terrible, so violent, and still I couldn't help myself from reading the next line. I'm DEEPLY INTRIGUED ergo the 5 stars.

When I started the book, I wasn't thrilled and it took me several days to resume it, but once the 'Game of thrones' started, I was consumed. There were many moments which left me plain disgusted. All that sexism overwhelmed me. But then, there are such strong female characters, some are wicked and vile, some are headstrong and some are loving and gentle.

There are so many important characters, it makes your head ache just to remember their crazily royal names. Almost everyone has a pivotal role to play, some purpose in the book, nobody is vague here. And there are no likeable characters either. Nobody is depicted as flawless and also, not at the verge of dying. *smirks*

The writing is fluid, interweaving the different tales, though it's not fast paced but sure gives you thrill. Everything seems real many a time, as if reflecting the real world in its shrewdness of people and violent nature.

All in all, the complex storylines and intimidating characters give birth to one hell of a superb fantasy book-series .

And oh, first direwolves and then fiery dragons, seriously, can this get any more cooler?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

Quotes Tanish Liked

“... a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

“Bran thought about it. 'Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?'
'That is the only time a man can be brave,' his father told him.”
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

“Laughter is poison to fear.”
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

“What do we say to the Lord of Death?'

'Not today.”
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

“Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.”
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

“Fear cuts deeper than swords.”
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

“Why is it that when one man builds a wall, the next man immediately needs to know what's on the other side?”
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

“When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives.”
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

“Life is not a song, sweetling.
Someday you may learn that, to your sorrow.”

March 30, 2014 – Shelved
March 30, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
July 13, 2015 – Started Reading
July 13, 2015 –
0.0% "Finally! Meaning to read this from a long time."
July 17, 2015 – Shelved as: adult
July 17, 2015 – Shelved as: fantasy
July 18, 2015 –
July 21, 2015 –
30.0% "Whenever I read a fantasy, I ask myself if I'll like to go in their world, and this time I just can't decide. \n This world is just so vivid, so resplendent and yet so gloomy. I don't even know if I'm liking this book or not. I'm just flabbergasted. "
July 23, 2015 –
50.0% "Taking this slow."
July 24, 2015 –
80.0% "Right now I have abandoned all my other books and am hell-bent to finish and get out of this world."
July 26, 2015 – Shelved as: favorites